crowing at all hours

Yeah, before the possums got them, my two roos (rest their little chicken-y souls) would sometimes crow at 3am, back and forth for almost an hour.
roll.png
So much for sleeping in!
lol.png

Ours crow any time during the night-if they hear a noise in the house---when we turn on a light to go to the bathroom, get a drink, or make a noise of any kind. They crow so much at night, I started tippy-toeing around just so the dang roo wouldn't wake up & crow!!!

I have a group of chronic crowers as well, especially my Dominique and Speckled Sussex. Our 4 main roos have competitions with each other as well as the roo up the road. I sure hope the people in the community likes hearing roos crow!!
lau.gif

Barb

Our BR crows continually... 3am is his start-up time (so my DS says) He also chats with the neighbor roo's. There's 3 others, that I know of, in a mile radius. Pretty funny when they get going.
gig.gif

I had 4 little bantam roosters last year, they preferred to roost in the trees instead of the co-op and it seemed like they were standing guard. Every time there was noise, or a car showed up one of them would crow a couple times. Fortunately for me sound doesn't travel well into our house.

I had a white EE "boss roo" named Tuco until a dog got him last year....that bird would crow from 4 in the morning and continue crowing his stupid head off until sundown.

Losing him wasn't too heartbreaking....he was a pretty roo but he beat up my ducks & was rough on the hens, and I'd been contemplating taking him to the stew pot anyway. During his reign of terror I'd almost NEVER hear a word out of my other two roos (a brown EE and a Japanese bantam). The dog also got the Japanese roo, so now all I have left is the quiet, mellow brown guy (his name is Tabasco). He's a sweet guy, I can handle him if I need to, my ducks now live in peace and my hens have all their feathers even though Tabasco is quite committed to doing his "job" with them regularly LOL.

Now that Tabasco is the only roo left, he crows a bit more, but MUCH MUCH less than Tuco. He'll crow early in the morning (5 am or so) and you'll hear him about once an hour until noon. After that he's mostly quiet unless there's commotion or noise outside- he's kind of a watch-rooster LOL. I also like the sound of a rooster crowing, just not every 15 minutes. Tabasco is the perfect roo (and he's GORGEOUS!)

There are exceptions, like the other night when we had a big bright full moon- I went out at 10:30 PM and he was in the coop crowing! He sometimes crows when he hears a noise so I had to go out and check on them.....all was fine so I think he was crowing at the moon! It was bright enough outside to pass for very early dawn, I suppose. He must have been confused, poor guy!

Back
Top Bottom