Crowing at night? (After dark)

chicklets81

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
I have 2 broody hens sitting on eggs that are due to hatch next week. I like to candle them at night when its darkest so I can get a good view.

While in the coop, a rooster I have crows at 10 pm!!!

I do have some christmas lights that I turned on because its getting dark earlier, but I remember hearing a crow at 10:30/11 pm at night about a month or two ago, when I didn't have the light on yet.

The roosters that crow randomly at night are 1st year roosters that joined my flock of 2 yr old hens.

I thought roosters only crow early in the morning and during daylight?

Roosters may crow at any time of day or night. They usually only crow at night when disturbed by light or some other event. They'll crow if there is lightning, another rooster crowing or they sense someone walking around.
IMHO, it's absolutely unnecessary to candle eggs under a broody hen.

Perhaps maybe they can hear the racoons that lurk around the coop.

I dont candle eggs regularly, just to see which eggs are fertile and which ones aren't. No point in a hen sitting on an egg that isn't developing. The hens I have right now that are broody do not get mated with, so their eggs aren't fertile. I gave them another hens eggs whos eggs are fertile.

Mine start about 5 AM. About 5 minutes after a neighbor's rooster starts crowing.
Still very dark out and if the other rooster didn't start, mine probably wouldn't.
When I lived in Costa Rica, all the roosters would only crow at night during thunderstorms.

Back
Top Bottom