Crowing Female Corturnix Quail?

BlueHorse17

Free Ranging
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
USA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a female Corturnix quail and I swear she crowed. I thought that only males did? She has a speckled chest so I know for sure that she is female. It’s about just as loud but sounds slightly different. This is my first time having quail.

I have a female Corturnix quail and I swear she crowed. I thought that only males did? She has a speckled chest so I know for sure that she is female. It’s about just as loud but sounds slightly different. This is my first time having quail.
Have you flipped her over and checked her vent to be sure she’s a hen? There are sometimes males with speckles on their chests. I’ve never had a hen crow, but I have had a male I thought was a hen because the chest was speckled, and one day bam he was crowing.

Have you flipped her over and checked her vent to be sure she’s a hen? There are sometimes males with speckles on their chests. I’ve never had a hen crow, but I have had a male I thought was a hen because the chest was speckled, and one day bam he was crowing.
I tried vent sexing but didn’t see any foam. Unless I vented wrong. Maybe she is one of those that you have to vent to know for sure. However hens don’t crow right? Must be a male then? Sleeping right now but I’ll grab a pic off Google what it looks like.

Attachments

• 6441FCBB-5334-43B8-BADC-B5D3417DAB1E.jpeg
    6441FCBB-5334-43B8-BADC-B5D3417DAB1E.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 22
I tried vent sexing but didn’t see any foam. Unless I vented wrong. Maybe she is one of those that you have to vent to know for sure. However hens don’t crow right? Must be a male then? Sleeping right now but I’ll grab a pic off Google what it looks like.
That is a Rosetta and is not feather sexable, if it looks like that and is crowing, it’s a male.

That is a Rosetta and is not feather sexable, if it looks like that and is crowing, it’s a male.
Ah okay! Makes sense then. I’m new to quail and this is my first time hatching them. It is a boy then! I’ll attach more photos tomorrow to confirm some other possible boys I think I might have. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom