Crowing hen?!?! Help please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KnightNic, Dec 3, 2011.

1. KnightNic

KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    I have 3 hens (or so I thought) and one has started making a weird noise like it's trying to crow. I originally had 6 day-old chicks which I raised and 3 really did end up as roosters and once they started crowing had to go to a farm (I'm inner city).

This chook looks nothing like the roos, but this morning I got woken by strange noise and when I went outside she was standing tall with her neck extended and make really deep clucks and then this stangled sort of noise. It wasn't quite like my baby roos attempts at crowing but similar enough that I'm worried.
    It was 6am [​IMG]

They're 3.5 months old.

What on earth is going on?! I've never raised chikens before, please tell me it's nothing and I can keep her [​IMG]

Pics to show no comb, wattles ets
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    They look like pullets to me. I have heard of hens crowing, but never heard one.

3. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    I've had older hens that crow...but I don't know about the younger ones. I have two roos now, so I don't know if my hens ever crow...Hopefully someone will have a good answer for you!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Where did you get these girls? They are gorgeous!

Both girls. Looks nothing like my BR roo [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Those are hens.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My mother used to say

Whistling girls and crowing hens, always come to some bad end.

7. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    you say you have 3 hens. where is the pic of the third one? those two are definitely hens, the other one must be your roo

8. blackhens

blackhens New Egg

Dec 1, 2011
    Where is the pic of # 3? I am new to chickens also. I had purchased (I thought) 6 black Orpington hens (in August - they had been hatched the end of March)and one blue Orpington roo. Well, one of the black pullets would make a muffled crowing noise when the blue roo crowed. In my case, that black pullet ended up being a black roo, and he (formerly Gertrude) is now "Gert".[​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Nice saying................ I love those old phrases.

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    If it was a series of bu bu bu bu bugawk... Egg song or preditor call, they sound similar when you first hear them... If all are barred rocks with the darker color they should be girls. My thought is practicing egg song.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by