Crowing hen?!?! Help please

KnightNic

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
I have 3 hens (or so I thought) and one has started making a weird noise like it's trying to crow. I originally had 6 day-old chicks which I raised and 3 really did end up as roosters and once they started crowing had to go to a farm (I'm inner city).

This chook looks nothing like the roos, but this morning I got woken by strange noise and when I went outside she was standing tall with her neck extended and make really deep clucks and then this stangled sort of noise. It wasn't quite like my baby roos attempts at crowing but similar enough that I'm worried.
It was 6am
sad.png

They're 3.5 months old.

What on earth is going on?! I've never raised chikens before, please tell me it's nothing and I can keep her
sad.png

Pics to show no comb, wattles ets

Last edited:
They look like pullets to me. I have heard of hens crowing, but never heard one.

I've had older hens that crow...but I don't know about the younger ones. I have two roos now, so I don't know if my hens ever crow...Hopefully someone will have a good answer for you!

Where is the pic of # 3? I am new to chickens also. I had purchased (I thought) 6 black Orpington hens (in August - they had been hatched the end of March)and one blue Orpington roo. Well, one of the black pullets would make a muffled crowing noise when the blue roo crowed. In my case, that black pullet ended up being a black roo, and he (formerly Gertrude) is now "Gert".
wink.png

If it was a series of bu bu bu bu bugawk... Egg song or preditor call, they sound similar when you first hear them... If all are barred rocks with the darker color they should be girls. My thought is practicing egg song.

Back
Top Bottom