1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cosmicmama, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cosmicmama

cosmicmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    My pullets are about 13 weeks old. I got them when they were 6 weeks old from a reputable breeder who said they were all female. I have two Ameracauna's, 2 RIR's, a Golden Comet and a Barred Rock. Recently, the gray Ameracauna has started crowing in the morning! An immature, but unmistakeable loud crow. This has always been the bossy chicken in the flock and has always been bigger than the rest. I have read that a dominant hen will sometimes crow in the absence of a rooster, but the size of this chicken along with the crowing has me questioning the sex. I live in a neighborhood and I can't have a loud rooster around. Will you guys mind looking at these pictures I just took and tell me what you think? The questionable chicken is the gray/brown Ameracauna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    boy boy boy boy boy!!!! your "reputable breeder" sold you an EASTER EGGER ROO [​IMG] not an americauna pullet. sorry dude!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but that's a rooster.

I know you got him from a reputable breeder, but keep in mind that the hatcheries employ trained chicken sexers and they still only get it right 90% of the time.

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well I have one of the same chickens! The same colors too! Im hoping she/he isnt a rooster because I live in a housing development also! Sooo hoping for you it isnt a roo but looks like it hun! [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Wow that sure is a roo! just comng out of the run you can see it! If it makes you feel better, he's very pretty [​IMG]

6. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    Same thing happened to me, supposed to be 6 pullets, one of the Ameraucanas turned out to be an EE roo- just like yours! Now we are entertained by the idea of a roo and his funny crows! You are not alone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by