Crowing hen

LaurenM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 13, 2012
My 8 month old buttercup pullet has decided to start crowing. She has also started developing spurs. She is indeed a hen, this is no mistaken identity as she has female feathering, coloration and is a great little layer.

At the moment, her crowing sounds like she is being strangled, it's more of a croak than anything but isn't loud enough to be obnoxious (although it is CONSTANT). To those who have a crowing hen, does their crow normally develop into a full rooster crow? I don't have a rooster for that very reason.

It's not unusual to get a crowing hen when there is no roo. I have one, myself. Hers actually sounds like a real crow, except it's much quieter than the real thing. She still lays as well.

I had one in the past as well; her "crow" was more of a squawk. She would also mount the other hens as if to mate, which is considered a dominance gesture. And they may stop laying, I have read, it just depends how their hormonal changes progress. I think my current hen still lays but I suspect the other one stopped.

As for spurs, that's not really a rooster trait; a fair number of hens grow spurs, including some impressive ones, even with a roo in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom