Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Massachusetts
I didn't want to take over that other crowing thread
smile.png
I have 2 cockerals, they were suppose to be pullets
roll.png
, They will both be 4 months old tomorrow. In the other thread it said that the alpha is the one that crows. Now my neighbors have a rooster, he is about 7 months I think that crows all the time. My coop and my neighbors coop are about 200 ft? apart. Could my boys be thinking he's the alpha so they won't crow? I also have a silkie roo, of course was suppose to be a hen LOL, he is over a year old and he only crows a few times in the am before the other roo is out and crowing. Could this all be related to them thinking the other roo is alpha? Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the "alpha" stuff. ALL of my roos crow. They have a crow-off at around 3:45 PM & again at 7 PM.

I also don't know about the "alpha" roo thing. I think when you have multiple roo's, they tend to set each-other off, as stated above, a "crow-off"
lol.png
. I have a serama roo who really is the ultimate roo, in that he doesn't crow early, he only crows every now and then, and he isn't loud enough to be heard 5 miles away
tongue2.gif
. He is the only rooster that I currently have, so that kind of goes against the "alpha" rooster theory...

LOL. I love the "crow off". Thanks for your posts. I actually am exited to have cockerals. I just don't want anymore than what I have, but I can't wait for my babies to crow. I know you won't ever hear me say that again
tongue.png
I guess, since I raised them, I am more excited to hear them
smile.png

All of ours crow. Especially when we go out into the backyard to visit them. Its like Crowfest '09 back there!
lau.gif
Maybe they all think they're the big dog in the yard!
smile.png

You know, it's like you can't wait for them to crow... Then when they do... They're like the enigeizer bunny, they keep going and going....
lau.gif

Quote:

IF you only have two roosters and one is definitely the alpha and the other is very submissive, you may find that only the alpha crows. The sub. roo may crow, but only when he thinks he can get away with it.
When I had two roosters and the alpha was very dominant, he was the only one that crowed (or mated for that matter). My sub. roo tried very hard to make himself invisible around the alpha.
Once I re-homed my alpha, the other roo stepped right up and started crowing his heart out. He crows all the time now, especially if he hears another rooster that lives about a half mile away.
If you have multiple roosters (more than two) they may all crow because the alpha can't dominate them all at once.
When we took the alpha to his new home, he started crowing the minute he was put in his new home and my friends that took him tell me he didn't shut up for two days.

Back
Top Bottom