Crowing Youngster

Jessdesk

Chirping
Jun 3, 2017
Hi all,

I have a situation to run by everyone. I have 4 pullets about 3.5 months old, and 9 others who are speckled Sussex and 2 months old. No older chickens.

Last week one of the speckled Sussex crowed at us, but we couldn't figure out which one, as it only crows when we have our backs turned. Then yesterday 1 Sussex that I suspect to be a cockerel looked to be trying to mount some of the young Sussex pullets as they were resting. I haven't seen him bother the older pullets though.

I thought this might be very young for it, I know the pullets are no where close to laying age yet. Is he just really ahead of time, or is this normal for the breed? I'm a little perplexed.

Wow, so hard to photograph chickpea in the morning.

Red is what we named this first chick... he is the one jumping on the pullets.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 7
He was giving his closeup. I will try to take more pics when I get home from work.

This one is Freckles, pullet.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    801.6 KB · Views: 6
Cockerels mature much more quickly than the pullets. If he continues to harass the young pullets you may have to separate him until they are older.

While I was trying to take reds picture one of the older pullets kept chasing him off. These 4 bigger girls definitely run the show... for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    600.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom