crowing

wildflowers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Washington
So, we ordered all pullets but of course got some packing peanuts...
They are 7 weeks old.
roll.png

This morning I was cuddling with my daughters and heard something odd. I looked, no my toddler was not awake. Didn't see one of the cats so I thought maybe that was it. Then I heard it again and decided if it was the cat, it had to be dying. See the cat, not dead, but hear it again. I am thinking no way are they crowing, no way.
I go out in the garage and see the roo perched and crowing, looking out the window!
Now, we are in Washington and it is quite deary here, so he wasn't announcing the sun coming up, if so he would have to wait until June sometime... He was holding competition with some dogs barking outside.
We can't have roos. We were planning on freezerizing them when they got big enough. But they aren't yet and while he was, but maybe not for long?, quieter than the dogs, people can have dogs barking, I am not supposed to have roos crowing...
roll.png

So ideas on how to keep this guy and his buddy who was also trying though not succeeding too well, quiet for a few more weeks?

I've ended up with those kind of surprises as well, no matter how well I think I chose my chicks, but mine didn't start crowing til they were 5 months old! You have some precocious fellas.
I have no idea how to silence them....will be interested in folks' ideas here. You could put your roos on craigslist for free (what most people here by Portland do) or a nominal fee - say $5 each. May be worth the small $ loss to you to preserve friendly relations with your neighbors and keep Officer Friendly from your door. I usually count on 10% roosters, and another 10% chick losses when I buy from feed stores.
Good Luck

I have bantam cochin cockerels that started crowing at almost 7 weeks. They're now 12 weeks old, and I haven't heard any of them crow for a couple of weeks at least... maybe yours will take a hiatus like mine!

My fingers are crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom