crowless rooster

I know he has never crowed because I get rid of roosters when they begin to grow, or they get moved to a different location. This guy remains next to the house. The hens make more noise than he does. I wonder, if it is genetic, if the hens would be completely silent too?

I haven't tried separating him, but I have been paying closer attention to him. He still does not crow but made some sort if noise the other day. It was far from a crow, but it was a noise he made when startled. So I don't think he is entirely mute after all.

I would like to start a challenge to all of the chicken breeders to produce a crowless rooster .
 Many breeds and individuals have reduced volume and frequency of crows and it would seem a possible thing to produce a breed that was derived from quiet roosters. with the increase in urban chicken keeping i I would think that a quiet breed would be highly sought after.  The hens across the street from me produce an awful racket that is a lot more annoying to me at 5 in the morning than the leghorn next door to them so maybe a chicken breed in which both hen and rooster is quiet would be the end goal. It would seem if you can breed a rooster to be loud and persistent like a long crower then you could go the other direction too.
 Anyone willing to take up the challenge?   Suggestions on breeds to begin with ? Want to begin a breeders association so that we can cooperate and distribute good quiet roos for breeding purposes.
 Serama are a fairly quiet bird in general. Any others?
url="/t/662468/crowless-rooster#post_8942280"]I would like to start a challenge to all of the chicken breeders to produce a crowless rooster .
 Many breeds and individuals have reduced volume and frequency of crows and it would seem a possible thing to produce a breed that was derived from quiet roosters. with the increase in urban chicken keeping i I would think that a quiet breed would be highly sought after.  The hens across the street from me produce an awful racket that is a lot more annoying to me at 5 in the morning than the leghorn next door to them so maybe a chicken breed in which both hen and rooster is quiet would be the end goal. It would seem if you can breed a rooster to be loud and persistent like a long crower then you could go the other direction too.
 Anyone willing to take up the challenge?   Suggestions on breeds to begin with ? Want to begin a breeders association so that we can cooperate and distribute good quiet roos for breeding purposes.
 Serama are a fairly quiet bird in general. Any others?
[/quote]My question is what is the purpose for crowing? I have 4 roosters and they crow all times of the night and day. The usually start around 12:30 am and go off and on all night. There is bound to be a physiological purpose. They flap their wings before they crow. I'm assuming that this causes their chest and lungs to expand therefore giving a haughty crow or two or three......

Sorry didn't mean to step on someone elses
Blog. I'm really new at this and couldn't find how to post on my own until now

There are quieter and lower crowing roosters,and I'm sure you could breed for that trait. I live in the country and awake to roosters every day,don't even own an alarm clock. In fact this summer I purchased tomaru and denizli long crower's to enhance my morning pleasure

I'M WORKING ON THIS! In fact, the goal is a true urban chicken. So far I have sorted through a lot of breeds for a lot of reasons. I have come to the conclusion that this breed needs to be a Bantam because larger breeds are just too destructive on a lawn. There are bantams that still make good meat birds, having a relatively large breast. My favorite breed until recently was the D'Uccle. But my focus is now on the new Olandsk dwarf. This breed has great potential! Still researching, but I like what I have learned so far! Much work will still be needed to make them a good urban chicken. The size needs to come up just a bit, as well as egg size. I'll keep an eye on this thread and post updates! :)

Back
Top Bottom