Crown turning dark and egg brittle

Gixkapo

Hatching
Aug 23, 2022
Hi there. I have recently (3 months ago) gotten 4 ISA brown hens, which have just started gradually laying eggs a few weeks ago.
One of my hens however has recently been laying her eggs quite late in the day (after 3pm) and today the egg shell was slightly discoloured and quite brittle. I didn't think too much of it as they are still new at laying eggs and it's also quite hot these days (35+ degrees Celsius).
But this afternoon I noticed her comb is turning purple or dark, which cannot be a good sign.
The hens have plenty of space to free range in my yard, with access to water and organic feed. She otherwise looks perfectly healthy, energetic, drinks and eats well, and I wouldn't be able to tell that something might be wrong.
I don't really have access to a vet here as owning hens as pets is not very common practice around here.
Can anyone help??
20220823_192104.jpg
20220823_192054.jpg

Looks like stuck on dirt/debris. I've seen this when my hens get in mud or if they have been eating something juicy like watermelon, tomato, etc. It seems like they get it all over them. This will wear off once she takes a dust bath.

Photos of the eggs?
Provide nutritionally balanced poultry feed and oyster shell free choice.

1661275230868.jpeg

Sunburn?? That's the last thing I could have thought of... :)) Is that a thing? It definitely could be possible with the strong sun and heat... I have aloe, I'll try that.

Looks like stuck on dirt/debris. I've seen this when my hens get in mud or if they have been eating something juicy like watermelon, tomato, etc. It seems like they get it all over them. This will wear off once she takes a dust bath.

Photos of the eggs?
Provide nutritionally balanced poultry feed and oyster shell free choice.

View attachment 3233369
They've actually been eating a lot of watermelon these days. Are you saying if I try and wash the comb it goes away? To me it looked like the comb itself was discoloured, but I may be wrong....

They've actually been eating a lot of watermelon these days. Are you saying if I try and wash the comb it goes away? To me it looked like the comb itself was discoloured, but I may be wrong....
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Look at the feathers around her face it's crusty with watermelon juice and dirt.
Again, it will wear off eventually during dust bathing, but if you wish, you can go out there with a wet rag and clean the combs.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Look at the feathers around her face it's crusty with watermelon juice and dirt.
Again, it will wear off eventually during dust bathing, but if you wish, you can go out there with a wet rag and clean the combs.
You were right! It was dirt!!! I can't believe how internal it looked to the flesh of the comb and it turns out it was just dirt 😱
Thank you so much for your help on that. Sorry if it seemed like a stupid thing to worry about but as I said I'm new to all this and I care for them a lot!
You learn something new every day 😊

You were right! It was dirt!!! I can't believe how internal it looked to the flesh of the comb and it turns out it was just dirt 😱
Thank you so much for your help on that. Sorry if it seemed like a stupid thing to worry about but as I said I'm new to all this and I care for them a lot!
You learn something new every day 😊
Glad all is well! :)

Back
Top Bottom