Crows and Ravens

agregg15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Connecticut
After getting my ducks in April, I've been noticing more and more crows and ravens around my house (not that I mind
wink.png
.) Maybe it's just coincidence (I do live near many marshes and coniferous forests.) But I'm just curious as to why they're deciding to hang around more. My guess is that since ravens eat mice and rats (
sickbyc.gif
) that they're killing the ones going after the duck feed and/or they're going after the duck feed along with rodents. I know many of you probably hate them because they do tear up gardens, empty bird feeders, and harass dogs, cats,etc (which can be a good thing,) but I've always have been interested in them. They are very intelligent and are funny birds when they play
gig.gif
. Anyone notice this after getting they're ducks?

We've had crows coming close now for twenty years. Lately, they watch the cats and when the cats kill a rodent, they call at the cat to shoo it away, then come down and carry the dead rodent away.

They sometimes drop by and watch my runners (black and chocolate) from a nearby limb. They don't say much, just watch for a while. They chase the hawks away if they come nearby.

Ravens love eggs. They steal goose, duck and chicken eggs. They will tear apart any wild bird nests they find - eating the eggs or chicks.

Ravens also love ducklings, chicks and small chickens
sad.png

I always liked ravens - even fed them - but when they started killing my chickens, stealing eggs and hunting ducklings.................they are no longer welcome to land here and are chased away.

I think they're beautiful and extremely intelligent. but they STEAL EGGS!!!!!!!! They come every morning at 7-ish and wait for the ducks to lay their eggs, and fly down and carry off an eggs to eat. If it was just one I wouldn't mind so much, but they've told their relatives, and now they all show up for the breakfast buffet! On top of that, they fight with the chickens.....

Oh dear. We've recently lost 6 hens and two ducks to a fox (everyone is safely enclosed now) and every time there was a kill, the ravens were there too! I don't like them much, they make me nervous.

They're probably going after your feed and the rodents like you said. I've seen them steal food from hawks. But, HorsefeathersNV is correct, they do kill babies and eggs. Crows will do the same. They are interesting to watch, though. I always have to check out what they're eating because I'm always afraid they're eating a little chick or duckling.

I feed the crows out in my back pasture to keep them around. I like to have them around. My ducks are in a fenced area but they get to roam in that area. The crows have kept the hawks away. 1 day I went running out after hearing my ducks sound the alarm call and the crows were going ballistic. Went out just in time to see a murder of crows chasing a HUGE hawk away. A hawk doesnt get with in seeing distance of my house without the crows calling and the ducks know its time to take cover. Keep them close, they will look after your ducks. If you keep them fed they wont steal your eggs either

They mobbed my goose while she was seting her nest. My fault I moved the feed dish close to her and she evidently tried to chase them off HER feed. Great fight she downed 3 birds so that I had to finish them off but they got all her eggs while she was off the nest.

Back
Top Bottom