Crows but lays eggs?

BuffOrps123

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
Hi I'm confused, I have a two year old booted bantam called Boots that crows about 5 times a day, but also lays eggs? Male or female? Here is a picture:

Female. This is the rare crowing hen that gets newbies all excited about their 4 month old rooster really being a hen. Older hens, more often bantam breeds or game birds from what I've seen here, tend to either get more dominant in the absence of a rooster or they have a hormonal issue that leads to crowing. The bird is still female.

How do you sort the crowing out? I have neighbours who will complain! I live in the town!

Well, they can't complain that you have a rooster, or get you in trouble (if any laws there) for having a rooster at least!

I was trying to make you smile! I can't say anything about complaints, unless you have strict crowing laws, rather than roo laws, they'd have quite the argument on their hands if anyone tried if she is indeed a layer and so clearly not a roo!

I have a crowing hen. She was quiet over winter, but now it's spring she has started up again, and the crowing starts at about 6.40am and continues on and off and then she crows once or twice throughout the day. She hasn't ever crowed overnight like roosters can do, but I think that starting up before 7 am is a little rude on her part
lol.png

So, I have had to bring her inside at night and put her in the broody cage in the laundry until 8am when I leave to go to university. I figure that most people are out of bed by then, surely the occasional crow can't be that big a deal during the day. It's just like having a dog outside that barks now and then.

I was trying to make you smile! I can't say anything about complaints, unless you have strict crowing laws, rather than roo laws, they'd have quite the argument on their hands if anyone tried if she is indeed a layer and so clearly not a roo!

Oh ok! Yes I think I will keep my Boots! My town does not have a strict rule, so... Yep thanks for that :) (notice the smile) :D

Last edited:
Oh ok! Yes I think I will keep my Boots! My town does not have a strict rule, so... Yep thanks for that
smile.png
(notice the smile)
big_smile.png
Think of it this way--do others in your neighborhood have dogs that bark? There's no way your hen is louder than that, or as constant. And you are not doing anything wrong by having her.

I suppose you're right! But for some reason, my neighbours get really annoyed with our chickens, probably because we had a cockerel before!

Back
Top Bottom