Crows ran owl off

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by clhbubba, Nov 2, 2009.

1. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    The other evening DH was outside in the evening and heard the crows raising cane. Walked down the field to see them dive bombing and pecking a very large owl. They ran him completely off. I have seen them do this do a hawk that was in our field. I know most people don't like them, but they have more than once alerted me to a predator. I think I would rather have a flock of them than several hawks flying around, they don't eat my adult birds. I know they would eat chicks, but I always keep them locked up until they are large enough. If I forget and leave eggs on top of the runs that I've gathered, they'll take them off. They even took my prescription glasses off the top of a run recently. I wasn't too pleased with that. But, if they'll run a couple of air borne predators off, they can have the occasional egg.

2. Koolduck

Koolduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Central KY
    I've noticed that the crows have run off the hawks also. I used to chase the crows...not anymore! You go guys, you go![​IMG]

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Crows can be very helpful for harassing raptors of all sorts or at least calling a warning that other birds learn to recognize.

But at times they can be a problem in themselves stealing eggs or killing and eating young chicks if they can get at them.

No unmixed blessings it seems.

.....Alan.

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    And if I'm not around, at least they'll alert my girls. These chickens have FINALLY learned hawks= danger and have learned the danger cries of the crows and squirrels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by