Crumble or pellets

Mommaturkey

Hatching
Aug 18, 2021
We currently have full grown ducks and turkeys and they are going through a lot of food. Especially the turkeys it seems they are never satisfied. We feed dumor crumble feed. Should I switch to pellets? Are pellets safe for the turkeys and dukes to eat together? What brands do you guys use for your flock? Thank you!

We currently have full grown ducks and turkeys and they are going through a lot of food. Especially the turkeys it seems they are never satisfied. We feed dumor crumble feed. Should I switch to pellets? Are pellets safe for the turkeys and dukes to eat together? What brands do you guys use for your flock? Thank you!
I use crumble so my birds don't choke. And the chicks can eat it too. But I have Bantam chickens.

I use crumble so my birds don't choke. And the chicks can eat it too. But I have Bantam chickens.
I am new ti chickens & am researching this too. I also have bantams (satin silkies, frizzle Mille fleur, & d’Uccle). Am I okay to feed them crumbles for their entire life? Thanks in advance!

The primary advantage of pellet is that it stays together as a largish piece, so when its knocked from the feed dish, the birds are more likely to find and eat it, reducing waste. Depending upon source, the waste reduction can be as high as 10%, though most of what I've read and experienced is closer to 5%.

Crumble, of course, can be eaten by birds of any size - and thus, any age.

Easy fix? Feed crumbles as a wet mash with an oatmeal like consistency. The availability (and sometimes cost savings) of crumble, with reduced waste, more like pellet.

Sadly, doesn't work in many feeder designs.

No perfect solutions - or we'd all be doing it that way. Except that one guy, because there's always that one guy...

The primary advantage of pellet is that it stays together as a largish piece, so when its knocked from the feed dish, the birds are more likely to find and eat it, reducing waste. Depending upon source, the waste reduction can be as high as 10%, though most of what I've read and experienced is closer to 5%.

Crumble, of course, can be eaten by birds of any size - and thus, any age.

Easy fix? Feed crumbles as a wet mash with an oatmeal like consistency. The availability (and sometimes cost savings) of crumble, with reduced waste, more like pellet.

Sadly, doesn't work in many feeder designs.

No perfect solutions - or we'd all be doing it that way. Except that one guy, because there's always that one guy...
Agree with the "wet feed" method ... I started "fermenting" free years ago, works for me. You can even do it with pellets; TSC here got only pellets (FR) in their last shipment, problem for some but not me. Reduce waste, even the "dust" is used ... and the added benefits in nutritional absorption, less poop & less stinky (sorry cecal still stinks) and hence less flies.

Back
Top Bottom