Crumble size of chick starter

RobinEgg

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2008
Does anyone else grind their chick starter? A local chicken lady (known for her excellent critter raising ability)
told me I should grind the starter in my blender, her theory being the crumbles are so big the chicks throats are getting scratched thus they dont eat well and stop thriving. Ok ,DH thinks this is ridiculous, "feed co know what size they need".... my thought....well no more difficult than it is to grind it up a bit I'll do it(esp. if it gives them a better chance at survival).....and the crumbles are rather large, hard and scratchy. So for now I have been placing it in my blender and grating it to smaller size, the chicks don't seem to mind that I've done this. She says for standard chicks she does this for the first 2 wks for standards and 4 wks for bantams.
Thank goodness I have 2 blenders, lol.

My starter always seems huge for my babies so I also grind it. Until they are at least two weeks old I grind it in a magic bullet. Then at two weeks if they can handle larger pieces I will put some in a baggie and rolling pin it so the pieces are a little bigger but not as big as crumbles. I bought starter mash this last time and I still had the same problem. You would think there would be a difference between mash and crumbles but not here!

Quote:
No, never done this.

Chick Starter is formulated for chicks from Day Old to 8 to 18 weeks, depending on the label. The ingredients, and size of crumbles is specifically formulated for them. Layers crumbles, btw, are considerably larger.

There is no need to grind it for chickens, and there is a danger that too much dust will be created if you do.

There is enough to do keeping chickens happy and healthy without the need to make work
smile.png

Experienced poultry keepers may make any number of changes from standard practise, but newcomers are probably best advised to stick to what is known to work. Get the basics right, then consider options.

just my 2c

I learned caring for chicks as a child with my grandmother, she of course did it the old fashion way and her chicks were never considered as pets. I would by no stretch call myself a novice . For me these chicks are as much pets as utility birds, so I dont mind the little extra time it takes to grind the food a bit. The brand I have is Dumor starter for ages 0 to 6 weeks. I still feel for my small polish that the size is rather large.

Quote:
Gotcha ....

I don't have a view on the efforts people will make ... we each do what we feel best.

I do wonder how advisable it is to mess with a prepared Chick Starter. If the manufacturers felt smaller crumbles would help, they would grind them smaller.

Long as they are happy, and eating, I don't suppose it matters either way.

I grind the starter for the little seramas- they seem to need it.I also noticed less wasted food when I do.The little ones just didn't eat the big pieces.But it is a pain.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom