crumble vs pellets...

Interesting.
I think a lot has to do with feeding technique and feeders. I prefer crumble. But I feed a wet mash. I don't like feeding them dry and only do it when the weather is so cold that their food will freeze.
I feed out of long homemade 4" PVC troughs so nothing gets billed out and there is more space for lots of birds to fit at the feeders.
I do still offer the wet mash in the winter in a heated dog bowl but they will get in the bowl and scratch it all over the place. The two leghorns at the bowl at the bottom right of the image were the worst offenders.
2CAA8E144D14_1576340907409.png

The chickens, and I much prefer pellets, but on my last trip to the feed store, all they had was the dreaded crumble ..... So, they're back to eating dust until I get back to the store !

i just switched from crumble to pellets...sooo much better. a friend recommended this. way less dust, waste, and compaction of crumble dust. my whole life we have used crumble...never again.
pellets also flow better in a feeder...why do they even sell adult bird crumble?
The chickens, and I much prefer pellets, but on my last trip to the feed store, all they had was the dreaded crumble ..... So, they're back to eating dust until I get back to the store !
the crumble all turns to dust in the bottom of the feeder. i actually hand scooped about 5 lbs out of the feeder and threw it around the coop...it plugs up and mostly dust is at the bottom. the pellets flow way better. btw...my feeder is inside so i am not going to add water to feed in the coop during the winter. the waterer is 10 feet away if they want water with their meal...it’s buffet style ;)

I had been feeding mine Flock Raiser crumbles. But, my last visit to the feed store, I accidentally got the pellet version. I only noticed it when I opened the bag. So, I’m feeding it to them, and they actually started eating it right away. I guess they like the pellets.

pellets also flow better in a feeder...why do they even sell adult bird crumble?

the crumble all turns to dust in the bottom of the feeder. i actually hand scooped about 5 lbs out of the feeder and threw it around the coop...it plugs up and mostly dust is at the bottom. the pellets flow way better. btw...my feeder is inside so i am not going to add water to feed in the coop during the winter. the waterer is 10 feet away if they want water with their meal...it’s buffet style ;)
Some people need crumble for special needs birds, and I use the layer crumble for quail. Those quail would never be able to eat pellets, even those 'mini' pellets

Some people have difference uses for the feed. Some may be feeding chicks as well as adults. Different feeders work best with different forms of feeds, whether mash, crumbles, or pellets whether automatic or loaded by hand. Some depends on what kind of feeder you use.

The main advantage of crumbles over mash is that in mash the different ingredients can separate out by weight so if you feed a dry mash they may be getting more of certain nutrients and less of others. If you feed mash it's usually best to feed it wet.

If you feed fermented feed the form doesn't really matter. Any of them will break down when wet.

Why do they sell adult bird crumble? Because some people want it.

I feed all flock pellets, but they manage to make crumble/dust out of the bottom of the bowl. I save that and it'll be a warm mash on a cold morning. And if I ever get started on fermented feed, it'll be the first stuff into the pail to ferment.

Back
Top Bottom