Crumbles or Mash whats your preference? Not sure what to do--

CAjerseychick

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Northern California!
Soooo had to choose bet Purina crumbles(which I am avoiding right now) and Bar Ale which I love, but they only got MASH(at this place I was at) not crumbles which I am used to for chicks (and now ducklings and chicks)-- never used the Mash before-- can you still pour it into regular chick feeders? Or What? Should I return the bag - not sure what to do actually....

I've always liked crumbles better than mash for chicks if I have a choice, but if they'll eat mash I don't see any reason not to use it, they just seem to waste a lot more, I use the same chick feeders, the common plastic or metals ones you get at any feed store (if you have something different you may have to see how it works). The BarAle chick mash is medicated though I think? I usually have my chicks vaccinated if from a hatchery that will do it, so would avoid it in that case.

for my serama and duccle chicks i grind up chick crumbles to almost mash fine because the so itty bitty and cant eat the crumbles as they are till their a few weeks old and every time i have to grind more i grind it less and less fine till their on regular crumbles.

i prefer crumbles as their easier and means i dont have to grind anything up to make mash like food

I giving mine fermented crumbles, it's like buttered popcorn to them. This is my first time trying the fermented feed and it seems like less waste also.

I don't believe ducks are to be fed medicated feed. Mash is fine, put right in a feeder like crumbles just stick to non medicated.

I think they make crumbles more for the sake of chicken owners than for the chickens. Other than for tiny newly hatched chicks, pellets will do fine, and they make less mess and less waste.

Back
Top Bottom