Crumbles or Pellets

RouttyChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Carrollton, Va.
My chicks turn 18 weeks old next week so i stopped by TSC to get a bag of layer feed and discovered it comes in crumbles or pellets. I was unsure which to get (or if it even mattered) so i got the crumbles.
What's the difference?

There's no nutritional difference. Just size difference. Pellets are best fed if you are scattering it on the ground and crumbles are best fed in winter. But you can buy either one any time of year. My girls prefer crumbles.

Last edited:
Some of mine had trouble with the pellets at first, probably because they hadn't eaten anything that shape before. They began to make such a mess with the crumbles that I decided to gradually mix in pellets. That worked well for them and it may work for yours too.

Crumb can be more scattered but depends on the feeders, i do have both here... i prefer the pellets less waste that said crumb is more normal for chickens as they like to peck through food and crumb tosses rather well lol

Thanks everyone - i got the crumbles because i figured that is what they are used to but i may pick up a small bag of the pellets to scatter on the ground when i let them out in the evening.

Another question - it says to start them on the layer feed when they turn 18 weeks but it seems i have seen on here where some people wait until they start laying to begin layer feed. It seems to me it would be best to begin them on layer feed prior to laying since it contains the minerals and nutrients vital to healthy eggs.

Thanks everyone - i got the crumbles because i figured that is what they are used to but i may pick up a small bag of the pellets to scatter on the ground when i let them out in the evening.

Another question - it says to start them on the layer feed when they turn 18 weeks but it seems i have seen on here where some people wait until they start laying to begin layer feed. It seems to me it would be best to begin them on layer feed prior to laying since it contains the minerals and nutrients vital to healthy eggs.
It's best to start them on layer feed at 18 weeks

Quote:
There are a lot of people that never feed a Layer type feed they only supplement with a calcium source, some will switch when the first egg is laid.
The thing about chickens is that there is no set age that they will start to lay, chickens lay when there body is mature enough to lay eggs.

Last edited:
I asked a farmer this question. He said, he can see the pellets spilled on the ground much easier than the crumble. He then would take the feeder away, and the chickens will clean up the spill. I follow this advise and it works fine.

As for preference, my side by side test shows crumble wins.

Back
Top Bottom