crumpled looking egg

8littlechickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Hi,

This morning when I went to collect eggs, there was one that looked as though it had been sort of crumpled or smooshed - very irregularly shaped with some creases or wrinkles. The shell was hard, though not very strong. I've never seen one like this (our hens have been laying for about 5 months or so). Should I be concerned about the hen who layed it, or is it just an abnormality?

Thanks!
Annie

Sounds just like 1 we had a week or 2 ago. I also saw someone with the same kind of egg. Haven't had 1 like it since. Just out of curiosity what kind of hen? I'm not sure which of ours is giving us weird eggs. Our girls are a year old now. This is what ours looked like
DSC00239.jpg

BTW:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome
big_smile.png

That looks very similar to the one I found. I think it was one of our barred rocks.

Last edited:
I have found a few eggs like the one shown in the picture, too. Sometimes the egg doesn't even have a yolk! I have no idea which hen lays those eggs.

We've had a couple of these weird eggs also. And they are laid in unusual places: randomly on the ground outside, on the floor of the coop. It's one of our two RIR's, who have both been excellent layers so far. We've been trying to introduce 10 week old chicks into the flock and we had altered the entrance to the coop to keep the new chicks physically separated from the older girls. We just mixed them together today. The feathers of the RIR, who is the Top Hen, look sort of splotchy and I suspect it is her egg. Could she have extra stress because she is the Top Hen? The eggs seem edible but the shell had a chalky feel to it.

I have had the same thing, she would even lay the soft eggs from the perch, in the poop, and not in the next box. As if they are rejects.
The addition of oyster shells, mixed with the food fixed it.

Quote:
Yokeless eggs!! Finally health nuts everywhere can truly rejoice- first reeeeeeally low cholesterol eggs!

Kinda imagine its hard to breed for that though. (hee hee hee)
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom