crumples vs pellets

mercedes

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
TX
My ten girls are almost six month old now and nine of them are laying:celebrate Up until now they have been eating 16% layer crumples from TSC(dumor) I noticed that they are wasting a lot of feed and am thinking about switching to pellets(16% layer)They get oyster shell,greens,treats and I feed the eggshells back to them.Are pellets a better choice?

I prefer them as there seems to be less waste. I've heard that some hens have a hard time making the switch, but it's never been a problem here. I use crumbles from late spring to mid-fall when I have young ones on the ground and then switch back to pellets when the chicks have grown enough to handle them.

I had the same issue. I used crumble because I had a mix of pullets and hens, but there was SUCH a mess made and such a huge waste of food and money, I switched to pellets and things are a lot better. There's still a mess now and then, but at least it is a "pellet" mess, and someone eventually eats it up.

same here with the crumbles while i have baby chickens, soon enough I will be able to switch back to the pellets

I have found they make more of a mess with the plastic type feeder from TSC, the tray is pretty shallow and they scratch in it with their feet.
the crumbles and pellets both get tossed from this feeder to make a mess.

The metal feeder with a taller tray keeps a lot of the mess from happening and more of the food in their belly where it belongs !

The only time I waste crumbles is when it rains and gets the feed wet. (I keep my girls in a chain-link dog kennel, not protected too much from rain)

I bought Purina Layena pellets and my girls HATE it. They billed out a large amount today looking for something else to eat!
somad.gif
I plan to make them clean it up before I add any further food to the feeder. Bad Chickens!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom