Crushed Granite for run and coop flooring?

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
Been looking for an answer through the threads, but haven't found one. I see a lot of people using or wanting to use sand. I was curious if anyone has used crushed granite in their runs and on their coop floors? I see there are concerns on type of sand due to silica in it, but does crushed granite have the same issue? I am sick of the shavings on my coop floor being hard to clean out and am looking for something that would be easier to keep clean via sifting the poo out. My run is also very slick and muddy during our rainy periods and was wondering if the crushed granite would drain better and be less of a slippery option. TIA! Hope everyone is able to keep their flocks cool during our crazy heat wave we are currently having.

we put some vinyl stick down tiles on the plywood to protect the wood. So it's slippery if I don't have anything on it. I don't want the girls to injure themselves by slipping around on it when they jump down from the roost. Currently have pine shavings packed in there to cushion and help with the slipping and wanted to change it out to something else.

Back
Top Bottom