Crushed oyster shell??

Quote:
A couple of weeks, I guess. They free-range a good part of the day and I was a little concerned about them not getting a full ration of calcium.

RSD

Quote:
Hi. Welcome to the site. There is a wealth of information here. It is a good place to be.

Pipping isn't a concern here. Yet. I only have pullets for now.

RSD

If your hens are 20 weeks old, or laying, it is recommended to provide oyster shells free choice. I use a cheap double bowl kitty dish ($1.00 at the dollar store), and put oyster shells in one side, and granite grit in the other side. They know when they need it, and will eat it if they need it, so it doesn't go to waste.

THANK YOU! Very helpful. I Love this website.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I save all my eggshells and crush them. I spread them out on a cookie sheet and heat them to 350 then let the chickens have them free choice. I also have everyone that i give eggs to do the same. I still have oyster shell free choice but the ladies prefer the crushed eggshell.

Yep. The reason for calcium supplementation is so they can lay eggs with strong shells.

I suspect that the calcium in the egg shells isn't as bioavailable, though, due to being bound up in a matrix. That may be the reason people bake them at 350 for 15 minutes before feeding them to chickens -- to denature the proteins in the matrix and allow the calcium to be used. That's just a guess, though.

RSD

yes, the eggshell is mostly calcium and the storebought shells are just fine. The ladies seem to prefer the eggshell over oystershell but i offer both because they consume the eggshell faster than i can provide it.

Back
Top Bottom