Crushed red peper

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chuck R, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Chuck R

Chuck R New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    North Fl.
    Repeating that I am the consumate newbie, I have been told by a neighbor that to maintain a good level of egg production he adds crushed red pepper to the feed every day. When some others had no egg production at all he always maintained a respectable flow of eggs. Is he pulling my feathers or is this possible?

2. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    [​IMG]

Yes is it possible.
    Quite a few members use red pepper to control worms also. Myself included.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have read that it works and I have read that it is an old wives tale. You could try it and see if it works. Personally, I do not use it and I would caution that if you are going to use it to prevent worms, keep an eye out for worms anyway. I am not going to say if it works as a wormer or not but I used to count on DE being a natural wormer for my horses and it was not.

4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as using it for a wormer in chickens, is that a proven thing? Also, do chickens not have taste buds? Are they not affected by the spiciness? Or do they just keep eating the feed as normal not being affected 1 bit?

5. Chuck R

Chuck R New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    North Fl.
    Thanks for the replies. I belive I'll give it a try, if only to try and control worms. This morning after the post, I saw him feed them with pepper and some of them actually picked out the bits of pepper. He stated that their digestive system negates the heat in peppers....thanks again:thumbsup

6. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of pepper and is it dry or moist, where do you get it?

7. Chuck R

Chuck R New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    North Fl.
    Its crushed red pepper and he gets it from the spice shelf at Dollar General...

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    My girls LOVE cayanne pepper crushed sprinkled over their food, or anything for that matter! They are pepper eating fools lol. I have also heard of deworming qualities, and that birds do not taste the "HOT" in peppers, and they loooove them. [​IMG]

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That`s a new one on me, but the bennefits of cayenne pepper could certainly include more eggs. I`ve always used it for worm treatment. Here`s a blurb I post often........Pop

Cayenne Pepper;

It`s a natural wormer. Mix it heavily with your feed to turn it rusty. Pepper in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have the heat receptors like most critters, so they eat it up. Worms, on the other hand, heh, heh. You can still eat the eggs. Repeat in 10 days to get the new worms.

10. becstalls

becstalls Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Not to be a negative nelly, but is this really true? I'll be psyched if it is. DH and I grew red chilis and dried them this summer and have more than we can use. If it de-worms AND makes for more eggs in winter I know what I'm doing with my peppers! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by