Crust Inside Vent - How to Clean

Owl Creek

Chirping
Dec 26, 2022
I am currently working on a gleet issue.

She has a build up of crust inside the vent. She was at the vet on the 24th. They gave her Clavamox and negated all the good bacteria work I had done for 4 days. Said she had a bacterial infection.

She’s getting better but tonight while cleaning; I lifted the upper lip of her vent and it was full of white crusty stuff. I was able to free much of it and she pooped. I applied the Miconazole inside and around the vent again.

How is best to clean that the rest of the way without hurting her? Thanks

I'd take it slow trying to get the crust off as you really don't want to tear the skin inside the vent because it would be hard to keep clean and heal. Long epsom salt soaks might help. You can also feed her some antifungal cream or use acidified copper sulfate in the water for a few days in case the fungal infection has moved farther up her tract than you can reach.

I am currently working on a gleet issue.

She has a build up of crust inside the vent. She was at the vet on the 24th. They gave her Clavamox and negated all the good bacteria work I had done for 4 days. Said she had a bacterial infection.

She’s getting better but tonight while cleaning; I lifted the upper lip of her vent and it was full of white crusty stuff. I was able to free much of it and she pooped. I applied the Miconazole inside and around the vent again.

How is best to clean that the rest of the way without hurting her? Thanks
Do you have photos of her vent and the crust?

The vet prescribed Clavamox for bacterial infection, was a culture ran?

White crusty material, does it smell like yeast? Did this hen have a prolapse? Is her crop emptying?

I'd apply coconut oil or mineral oil to the crust, it should help eventually loosen the material. Daily soaks in an epsom salts bath may help as well, as long as she's not lethargic.

I'd take it slow trying to get the crust off as you really don't want to tear the skin inside the vent because it would be hard to keep clean and heal. Long epsom salt soaks might help. You can also feed her some antifungal cream or use acidified copper sulfate in the water for a few days in case the fungal infection has moved farther up her tract than you can reach.

Do you have photos of her vent and the crust?

The vet prescribed Clavamox for bacterial infection, was a culture ran?

White crusty material, does it smell like yeast? Did this hen have a prolapse? Is her crop emptying?

I'd apply coconut oil or mineral oil to the crust, it should help eventually loosen the material. Daily soaks in an epsom salts bath may help as well, as long as she's not lethargic.

They ran a lot of tests. We were there for 5 hours. Vet paperwork said slight bacterial infection. Not a lot of yeast. That was on the 24th. I’m afraid the antibiotic killed all the good bacteria and made the yeast worse.

No prolapse. I was very gentle trying to get the crust off. I’ve ordered the Q tips and coconut oil. I’ll apply that when it comes this morning. I know it was uncomfortable for her. But she did poop right away when I got a big glob out.

What kind of topical can I safely apply inside the vent to prevent infection?

I started acidified copper sulfate water Friday afternoon. I’ll continue through Monday. She gets two pea sized miconazole globs a day and I clean, apply the cream every day. The discharge has slowed way down. It does smell bad.

I have another thread with some more detail on those issues. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-vent-gleet-or-something-else-looks-a-little-like-some-other-pics-i’ve-seen-here-but-not-completely.1560291/page-3#post-26510861

Thanks

UPDATE
Went out this morning, crop is good. She no longer burps etc when I massage it like she had been a few days ago. Behind is a little irritated and just a little discharge.

At almost $1000 dollars spent on vet, meds and all the stuff I’ve read about on forums like this and Google searches and had overnighted to have on hand, I’m hoping to bring her through it. No lethargy, eating and drinking. She loves the late night mash she gets while I’m cleaning her vent. Seems to be a little Too used to it. Lol

My wife thinks I’m crazy for going to these lengths. Farm friend down the road said cull and move on. Perhaps I am. Perhaps I’m not. Don’t care at this point.

Last edited:
I may have a similar problem. We're you able to resolve it? What was the final solution?

I’m sorry to hear. This has been an absolute pain. She’s been to the vet twice. Vet says they don’t see anything anymore. All bacteria is gone and she has passed all physical examination and the second fecal tests for flock and her have all been negative for any parasites, yeast etc.

I’m going on week 4. She still has a slight discharge from her vent and the poo bounces between normal looking and “what the hell is that?”.

She has tons of new feathers coming in which tells me she’s molting. (My first winter with chickens) Not sure why the vet wouldn’t have pointed that out. Everything I’m reading says during molt; they become extremely susceptible to illness.

She’s eating; terrorizes the mealworms. I saw her drinking yesterday.

I purchased some organic coconut oil and have been applying that around her bum and spraying Banixx for Chixx. I add probiotics to their water daily to help keep the bad bacteria away. I still apply the miconazole cream once a day to keep yeast at bay while she molts.

She seems to have released the rest of the crust build up. The vent swelling is gone for the most part. I had someone hold her and then I gently removed what I could with my pinky and a long sterile q-tip while she ate some feed mixed with no sugar Greek yogurt with live cultures.

I did do a 3 day acidified Copper Sulfate drench and since finishing; only probiotics and vitamins in the water.

We are getting sloshed with rain right now so I’m about to go out and do run maintenance to keep them out of the nasty water. Nasty water in the run will make them sicker much quicker.

Good luck.

After a month and a week of vet visits and nightly attempts to help her; we decided to have the vet euthanize her. The vet agreed her situation would only worsen in the coming days and weeks and I did not want her to suffer.

Miss seeing her already.

Back
Top Bottom