Crusted Sore

wildthing40486

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2018
Opening info;
1) 2 Yr. Old English Jubilee Rooster / GreenFire Farms bloodline .
2) Developed this fixture while in isolation through our shut down period.
3) We have over 300 birds , over 40yrs. In the fowl world , never experienced this one.
4) No one else has this , not his girls in his flock , nor any of his spawn grow outs for cycle.
5) We watched this begin its growth & it began as a peck ? We just thought at 1st that it was from the Rooster turning their heads sideways thru the wooden slats to fight as they always do.
6) Nothing in mouth , no lessons , no indicators of fowl pox , just one huge crusted scab with hardened cheese substance on the backing which came off and out of the meat with little effort & little bleeding .
7) Maintains appetite , this time of season our rooster only eat whole corn . Non lethargic .
8) Housing as images show is confined 2'x2'x2' living quarters with drop screen.
9) Always active , no droopy , no wing tucking , vibrant and alert as ever.

The mass was a slow progression , it grew in Aprox. 1 month.
1122180952e.jpg
1122180952b.jpg
1122180953.jpg

I would guess that it was an injury of some kind that got infected, similar to bumblefoot. The hard cheese like substance is the pus. I'd make sure it's flushed out well with some saline or vetericyn, and all pus was removed and then put some plain neosporin on it and hopefully it will heal up. If pecking is an issue then using blu-kote may help. The pic's of the face are blurry, so that's my guess from looking at what was removed.

I would guess that it was an injury of some kind that got infected, similar to bumblefoot. The hard cheese like substance is the pus. I'd make sure it's flushed out well with some saline or vetericyn, and all pus was removed and then put some plain neosporin on it and hopefully it will heal up. If pecking is an issue then using blu-kote may help. The pic's of the face are blurry, so that's my guess from looking at what was removed.
Yes,
It looked exactly like bumblefoot , the inside curating was as though it was removed from the paw and slapped onto its cheek , the inside of the wound was identical as well and is why it was baffling us.
It was hard to get him to stand still enough for the clarity we got on the picture , he's pretty active.

I would treat it like I would bumblefoot or any other wound, without the soaks & wrapping. Since it's on the face it should stay cleaner and hopefully heal up faster even. You may never know what actually happened to cause it, pecking, caught on wire, splinter from the wood, etc.

Back
Top Bottom