Crutchies leg šŸ˜°

Personally, I think the leg wrap would not help, and could make her more uncomfortable. Some chickens may be able to reach food and water, if kept in a smaller area, and are not picked on. However, each case is the different. Being able to reach food is the key to survival. Leg bone deformities are not helped with splinting, but are permanent.

Personally, I think the leg wrap would not help, and could make her more uncomfortable. Some chickens may be able to reach food and water, if kept in a smaller area, and are not picked on. However, each case is the different. Being able to reach food is the key to survival. Leg bone deformities are not helped with splinting, but are permanent.
Yeah, we tried fixing it but we only managed to fix her brothers splay leg, I go out every few hours and move her back to the food so she can eat and drink, my chickens donā€™t pick on her and if they try sheā€™ll start squawking till her sisters and brother come and help her, sheā€™s surprising smart.

Wow itā€™s a lot worse then, Iā€™m order a little handmade chick leg wrap from her on Etsyā€¦ do you think peroxide would work on chickens?
I wouldn't use Peroxide.
If you can get a photo of the injury that may help.

Flushing with saline would be good, if not, then you can wash the dirt and blood off with a little warm soapy water, then rinse well.
It's going to be hard to keep dirt out of injuries if it's on the bottom of her leg where she's dragging it along. Over time, the foot is going to get raw.

I wouldn't use Peroxide.
If you can get a photo of the injury that may help.

Flushing with saline would be good, if not, then you can wash the dirt and blood off with a little warm soapy water, then rinse well.
It's going to be hard to keep dirt out of injuries if it's on the bottom of her leg where she's dragging it along. Over time, the foot is going to get raw.
Itā€™s not too bad yet, I think she might not have feeling in that leg anymore, she doesnā€™t show any signs of pain but I donā€™t want her ending up with some sort of infection that will end up hurting her

Attachments

• 026EF5C6-ED59-44E1-A477-7A60B30E4DB8.jpeg
    026EF5C6-ED59-44E1-A477-7A60B30E4DB8.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 32AD66FF-9DD6-4B86-BDB5-FBE0D87E27B0.jpeg
    32AD66FF-9DD6-4B86-BDB5-FBE0D87E27B0.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 3
Itā€™s not too bad yet, I think she might not have feeling in that leg anymore, she doesnā€™t show any signs of pain but I donā€™t want her ending up with some sort of infection that will end up hurting her
Oh I see.
Looks like she may have the start of a pressure sore on her joint.
How does she sleep at night? Does she lay on that leg?

I'm not sure if it would help, but you could try putting her in sling a few times throughout the day to get her up off/take pressure off the joint to see if that helps.
If she's sleeping on the leg, then you may want to make sure the bedding is good and dry, clean and soft.

She would have to monitored while in the sling to see if she's agreeable - some birds can't tolerate the confinement. You may have to play around with the design to ensure the sling doesn't pull or press her leg the wrong way. It's just a thought for you to consider. You may find it doesn't help.
Below is a short video of a sling, but if you google search chicken sling images, you will see a lot of ideas.
1626058005037.png

Oh I see.
Looks like she may have the start of a pressure sore on her joint.
How does she sleep at night? Does she lay on that leg?

I'm not sure if it would help, but you could try putting her in sling a few times throughout the day to get her up off/take pressure off the joint to see if that helps.
If she's sleeping on the leg, then you may want to make sure the bedding is good and dry, clean and soft.

She would have to monitored while in the sling to see if she's agreeable - some birds can't tolerate the confinement. You may have to play around with the design to ensure the sling doesn't pull or press her leg the wrong way. It's just a thought for you to consider. You may find it doesn't help.
Below is a short video of a sling, but if you google search chicken sling images, you will see a lot of ideas.
View attachment 2756357

She sleeps on her side or stomach, sheā€™ll cuddle up with her flock, who I have to put in the hen house at night so they donā€™t leave her and sheā€™s not vulnerable to neighborhood cats, sheā€™ll lay down with her leg still out and then roll onto her side or back, she does that most of the day too, and she canā€™t exactly put her leg down so itā€™s always hovering behind her unless sheā€™s using it as a crutch (thatā€™s partly why her names Crutchie) while eating or drinking, sometimes sheā€™ll use her wing instead.

Back
Top Bottom