"Crying" and sneezing Lady

Frida

Hatching
Mar 7, 2022
My favorite girl Frida woke up fine yesterday but after an hour of foraging, she ran up "crying" and sneezing. I read some other posts, and they said it may be a block in her airway or a lung infection. It came on very suddenly. It doesn't sound so bad when she is sleeping (I put her in a box last night). I was hoping it would pass but it hasn't. She keeps wanting me to hold her, calms down, and sounds better when I do. She is eating and drinking but very little. She is in obvious distress and I don't know how to help her!

She is almost a year old and had been off laying for a week until yesterday. She always had a kinda sneeze squeak thing every once and a while, but I didn't think it was anything to worry about since it wasn't very often.

Last edited:
I did check the inside of her beak/nose and did not see anything. I took a couple of videos earlier today. I didn't think about using youtube, I am new to the platform thanks for the tip. I have been keeping her isolated from the top peckers since they want to pick on her, and that makes her breathing worse. I just put her in a box for the night. I gave her a tiny bit of ibuprofen, she seems slightly more comfortable.

Last edited:
I would re-look inside her beak.
Have someone hold her, take a flashlight and look very well.
While you have her gathered up, carefully feel around on her body for anything that feels like an air bubble under the skin, from head/neck all the way under her wings to the tail and underneath her at the abdomen and below the vent.

Is she able to drink anything at all? I would see if she will willing drink a bit of water if you offer it. She may be getting dehydrated by now.

Have you ever had respiratory illness within your flock?

She has been drinking and eating, not as much as usual, but not so little it worries me. No respiratory problems in my other birds. She was calm throughout the night, but I did wake up a few times to sneezing and wheezing. She laid an egg this morning in her box. And since I put her out this morning she seems much better still sneezing every once and a while, still wanting to be held. It rained last night could this be an allergy, dust thing? Are there items that I can get at AG supply that will prevent any respiratory illness in my flock? Thanks.

Hard to know if it's something in the environment that's causing her to sneeze.
Is she still making that noise?

Tylan/Tylosin is commonly used to treat Symptoms of respiratory illness like Mycoplasma. It may help if she's not getting better in a few days. You could also try something like VetRx before you resort to antibiotics.

Sorry, I put in a post earlier today but I don't see it now. The other birds show no signs of respiratory problems, except for sneezing everyone once in a while. She is feeling much better today. I had her in a box in my room for the night and she had still been wheezing and sneezing sporadically throughout the night. It had rained during the night/morning and when I put her out she seemed much better. Could it be an allergy thing? I got some VetRx and applied some to all the flock, just to be on the safe side. I have her in the box again tonight and she is not having any noticeable trouble breathing and seems to be getting a good night's rest. Are there any other things that I can do to prevent this from happening again? I didn't feel any bubbles, what does it mean if I do? Thanks for your help.

The only respiratory diseases that come to mind whenever birds sound like this are—

MG/MS - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oz-jemqYjmVj0wEUj4gAI5VQ6idPotUU/view?usp=sharing

ILT - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G6qX0s365lijlHj5UNH-gFd8Pp8s1ZUu/view?usp=sharing

IBV - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PvrjqAwKgZpnhLIXUkmWmIZsyk-dWwBo/view?usp=sharing

AI - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEgHBvYBXysmMGN--bJbzwTXHTg2pxIW/view?usp=sharing

And Aspergillosis (which I haven’t made an article for yet..). She may also have a ruptured air sac or have some sort of heart issue.

I did check the inside of her beak/nose and did not see anything. I took a couple of videos earlier today. I didn't think about using youtube, I am new to the platform thanks for the tip. I have been keeping her isolated from the top peckers since they want to pick on her, and that makes her breathing worse. I just put her in a box for the night. I gave her a tiny bit of ibuprofen, she seems slightly more comfortable.
Hi one of my girls just started doing this today out of nowhere. Has yours gotten better?

Back
Top Bottom