Crying Peeping, need advice

EdentroGardens

Hatching
10 Years
May 16, 2009
We have two cute bantam couchins (one red) and they are roughly 2 and 3 weeks old (about 60 and 100 grams). Today they suddenly started complaining A LOT, and nothing we did, changing water, litter, food, lighting, heat, shower, hair dryer, did anything to calm them down.

They usually get excited and jump out of their cage when they see us, and it seems normally affectionate of a chick. But today they will not stop complaining as loudly as ever and trying to jump out of their cages, and they are eating strangely. They peck at their food only a few seconds before running amuck. Checked for sticky poo, nothing seems to be wrong. Feed is standard chick starter feed from southerns states (no medications added). We do not give them "grit."

are they just being clingy or is this hinting at a real problem? Could they be too hot?

at 3 weeks old they only need to be at about 80 are so is there a place for them to go to get out of the heat ?

Take a small dish and put starter in it and wet it down. This makes a mash and it will be easier for them to eat it. Chick starter has grit in it so you do not have to add any.

have you given your babies treats yet? Or given them toys to play with? Ours like worms, strawberries, instant oats, and mashed potatoes. we also give the those cat toys with the bells in it. maybe they need something to keep them busy. I hope they're ok, and that maybe they're bored. Good luck
smile.png

Quote:
What do you mean by shower, hair dryer? If they are trying to jump out of the cage I would suspect too hot. Is the cage large enough for them to get away from the heat? Be careful with wet feed, only keep it there a short time to avoid moldy food. By short time I wouldn't leave it longer than 1/2 hr. What kind of light are you using? How close? What temp. are they at? What kind of bedding are you using? They don't need grit if you are giving no treats. You can boil and egg chop it up for them and not give grit. They will love that.

Looks like placing them in the colder basement worked!

They don't partake to strawberries, actually they were scared to hell of them!

Back
Top Bottom