Cuckoo Maran cross with Barred Rocks

monkeemakr

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Swansea, SC
Anyone have any idea how this would work? I am having a hard time finding cuckoo maran hens to go with my roo. I was wondering what kind of frankensteinian mutts I would get from this cross? The general idea is to improve the meat quality and disease resistance (from the marans side into the rocks) and possibly egg size. I'm not looking to create any new strains or xbreeds, just wondering it this could possibly be practical. Thanks for any imput.

If you aren't looking to show or perpetuate this line as breeding stock, IMO it would be a good cross. You should get hybrid vigor to boot.

No, not looking to perpetuate anything, but trying to make the best use of the birds I have in my flock for my own family's use. Thanks gootziecat for your imput. At one time I was adamant about NO MUTT CHICKENS in any of MY coops. But then someone gave me this cuckoo marans roo. At first we were just going to raise him up for freezer camp, but the more I look at the difference between him and my barred rock roo (meatwise), my mind just keeps going okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Maybe this particular mutt thing might not be so bad.

Please let me know how this turns out if you do it! I have a French Copper Marans, Splash Marans and Blue Marans... some or all may end up being roos. And I have a barred rock pullet. Would perhaps be interested in doing my own experiment to see if it backs up your hypothesis.
smile.png

Where did you get them from, did you get them from a hatchery?
If you got the birds from a hatchery the chances are very good that your Cuckoo Maran already has Barred Rock in it.

Chris

Last edited:
Will do RG. It will probably be at least a couple of weeks before I get a breeding pen empty, and then hoping
fl.gif
they don't stop laying as it gets cooler. But I'll post pics when I get chicks. I I can remember that far away.
old.gif

Chris,

All I can tell you is a lady gave him to me when he began crowing - you know the neighbor routine. I'll try to get a pic of him on here this afternoon or tomorrow and you can tell me. I know he's not show quality, and he's not French, so he probably is hatchery.

No, not looking to perpetuate anything, but trying to make the best use of the birds I have in my flock for my own family's use. Thanks gootziecat for your imput. At one time I was adamant about NO MUTT CHICKENS in any of MY coops. But then someone gave me this cuckoo marans roo. At first we were just going to raise him up for freezer camp, but the more I look at the difference between him and my barred rock roo (meatwise), my mind just keeps going okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. Maybe this particular mutt thing might not be so bad.
**Mutt chickens lay more egg :)

Anyone have any idea how this would work? I am having a hard time finding cuckoo maran hens to go with my roo. I was wondering what kind of frankensteinian mutts I would get from this cross? The general idea is to improve the meat quality and disease resistance (from the marans side into the rocks) and possibly egg size. I'm not looking to create any new strains or xbreeds, just wondering it this could possibly be practical. Thanks for any imput.
Does anybody have pics of this cross? i believe i accidentally ended up with this cross and I'm eager to see it feathered out

Hi there! I’m interested in this cross too. My girls came from a hatchery but the legs of all of them are whitish but also look yellowish and have a little black mottled in. So hard to identify if they are cuckoo Marans or Bar rocks (may actually be a cross between the two from the hatchery???). Not gonna be laying eggs for 8 more weeks so I just can’t tell. My son-in-law has an overflow of Roos and is gifting me a beautiful full breed cuckoo Marans rooster (Roscoe). IF they turn out to be rocks, wonder what results would be if they crossed with Roscoe & what color eggs they’d lay. This is not the best shot of one of them but all I have at the moment. In your opinion… is she Marans or Bar Rock?

Attachments

• B6C9BC4F-A529-4949-AF02-9202A5592FF9.png
    B6C9BC4F-A529-4949-AF02-9202A5592FF9.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom