Cuckoo Maran questions

JenandDave

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Northwest USA
Hey y’all. I’ve recently ordered chicks from MM hatchery, two of which are Cuckoo Marans. I’m curious what to expect for egg color. I know they probably won’t be that dark chocolate like the Black coppers but was just wondering if anyone on here had experience with the CM from Murray Mcmurray. Also got a golden laced Wyandotte which we’ve never had before either. We are very excited to have hens again, it’s been about five years. Our entire flock will be 2-Red Stars, 2-Cuckoo Marans, 1-Light Brahma and 1-Golden Laced Wyandotte. We are assuming the surprise chick will be a roo so we aren’t disappointed.

Welcome back to the chicken community! I haven't ordered any chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery yet, but I've had a few Cuckoo Marans from Mt. Healthy Hatchery. Mine lay a dark brown (not chocolate) egg that's very similar in color to my Isa Browns. Their eggs are a bit smaller than the Isa Browns. On my other Marans, French Black Copper, they lay a similar color to chocolate and very speckled. Between the two Maran colors, their eggs do get mixed up when the FBCs aren't laying their darker eggs. The BC eggs are bigger than the Cuckoos. Now, one thing to note, the FBCs came from a breeder and the Cuckoos came from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom