Cuckoo Marans Eggs- duds or late bloomers?

Amurr

Songster
Apr 25, 2020
I’m hoping somebody can talk to me about cuckoo marans eggs. My incubator went into lockdown with 7 cuckoo marans eggs and 5 black ameracauna eggs.
The first BA egg hatched on day 20. It’s the end of day 21 and all 5 BA eggs have finally hatched.
However, not a single cuckoo marans has hatched or even pipped. Last night one was rocking but I haven’t seen movement since.
While candling during incubation I noticed that the BA eggs “filled up” faster than the Cuckoo marans, but ALL of the eggs appeared viable at lockdown.
I know some eggs hatch on day 22-23, but I expected to at least see a pip out of the marans by now.

I’m hoping somebody can talk to me about cuckoo marans eggs. My incubator went into lockdown with 7 cuckoo marans eggs and 5 black ameracauna eggs.
The first BA egg hatched on day 20. It’s the end of day 21 and all 5 BA eggs have finally hatched.
However, not a single cuckoo marans has hatched or even pipped. Last night one was rocking but I haven’t seen movement since.
While candling during incubation I noticed that the BA eggs “filled up” faster than the Cuckoo marans, but ALL of the eggs appeared viable at lockdown.
I know some eggs hatch on day 22-23, but I expected to at least see a pip out of the marans by now.
That's weird! Are there hot spots in your incubator? Were all of the BA eggs near each other?
And can you candle the eggs and post pics? It's safe to candle if there aren't currently any external pips.

I find my marans hatch a day later than everyone else - they can take their sweet time. However, some people have also found them harder to hatch because of the thick shells and bloom. I haven’t experienced this difficulty, but it would be worth getting advice from those who have.

I find my marans hatch a day later than everyone else - they can take their sweet time. However, some people have also found them harder to hatch because of the thick shells and bloom. I haven’t experienced this difficulty, but it would be worth getting advice from those who have.
This is exactly what happened! Three of them hatched last night (which would have been the middle of day 22 according to my incubator) one just hatched (a few hours into day 23) and two more are pipping. Again, it’s day 23.
I’ve noticed in the past that my maran shells are a lot sturdier than my other hens. That probably explains why their air cells were always a bit on the small side compared to the BA eggs. Slowed things down a bit.

Let nature take its course as it has for thousands of years. Do people pick at hatching eggs, shake them, roll them, look at them in nature? Of course not. Let them hatch or not hatch.

Let nature take its course as it has for thousands of years. Do people pick at hatching eggs, shake them, roll them, look at them in nature? Of course not. Let them hatch or not hatch.
They did hatch. Without being picked at, shaken, or rolled thank you. My question was whether or not marans typically hatch later that other breeds. Which was answered for me in more ways than one.
And if we were going to let nature take it’s course, would we be using incubators?
Let a newbie ask her dumb questions.

I have had this experience as well..my marans hatched a day or two after the others. I thought it was interesting, and am glad to know that others have had the same experience.

When hatching times are counted by days,
It’s an average hatching time meaning overall. Some are slower some are faster. There are also outliers. Be patient. Wait. Sometimes the eggs aren’t fertile. These specialty breeds have oftentimes different hatching lengths.

Back
Top Bottom