Cuckoo marans or barred rock, can't tell

yah, just figured that out from previous posts. The breeder i got these from must really not know what she has seeing as she sold them to me as cuckoo marans and a br, but being a newbie i am learning and have learned alot already!

A breeder is someone who carefully selects for certain traits in their birds. Just because someone has chickens, and hatches the occasional batch of chicks, doesn't mean that they know what they are doing.

UPDATE: This started as a cuckoo marans or BR thread but have already been informed that none of these are marans and that one is most likely a Dominique while the other 3 are BR's. :)

updated w/ better pix

I got these girls a few months ago, the breeder said 3 of them were cuckoo marans and 1 was a barred rock. i'm pretty sure the one with the tiny comb is the barred rock but there's another girl that looks very similar to her but with a larger comb, 2 are darker, they all seem to have at least semi yellow legs..i just can't tell. These pics bite, it is very hard to get pix of these girls but i can try for better ones. They just started laying, at least one of them lays a lighter egg than the others
Not a Dom, they have a rose comb.

I like the term flat-top, got a rockabilly ring to it! :) She's the only girl with the rose comb, the rest all have single's. perhaps one of her parents was a dom and she is a little mutt or something. She sticks out a ton from my other hens due to her personality, the other 3, BR's I believe, are kind of boring (I feel bad saying that) and she is funny and active and very personal, I'd really like to get another one like her at some point.

If their feet have yellow on them, they are Barred Rocks. If their skin is white, Cuckoo Maran.
Also Barred Rocks have yellow beaks, while Marans have whiteish blackish beaks. Cuckoo hens are also typically not as well barred as Barred rocks.

I think you have Barred Rocks.
I have a question, so I got 4 chickens, 2 of which I think are barred rock, the only problem is I didn’t get them as chicks I got them from a person who could no longer care for them and he said they are 5 months and he didn’t tell me what kind they are, their feet are yellow but their beaks just started to get black spots on them and they haven’t started laying, is it possible they could be a different breed or sick?

I have a question, so I got 4 chickens, 2 of which I think are barred rock, the only problem is I didn’t get them as chicks I got them from a person who could no longer care for them and he said they are 5 months and he didn’t tell me what kind they are, their feet are yellow but their beaks just started to get black spots on them and they haven’t started laying, is it possible they could be a different breed or sick?
The person you quoted hasn't been online since 2017. Can you post a pic of your birds?

Attachments

• B831729B-3B2E-4884-8914-FA093EBCEB89.jpeg
    B831729B-3B2E-4884-8914-FA093EBCEB89.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 16
  • C0E481A5-FE84-4106-BE43-46A7CC5E9D07.jpeg
    C0E481A5-FE84-4106-BE43-46A7CC5E9D07.jpeg
    800.6 KB · Views: 16
  • E81A4E92-11D8-4BE3-9A75-78109C6E81BA.jpeg
    E81A4E92-11D8-4BE3-9A75-78109C6E81BA.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom