Cuckoo Marans Rooster x (other breed)

candira

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Lexington, Texas
Hi, I'm not really familiar with the different crosses I may end up with now that one of my cuckoo marans pullets ended up being a cockerel, but I am now interested in seeing if I could breed them to raise pullets that would lay different colored eggs, like say olive colored eggs?? And what the offspring would look like (barred... color??) Anyways, I'm not quite sure any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cuckoo marans x Rhode Island red

Cuckoo marans x easter egger (laying light green eggs)

Cuckoo marans x (gold/silver) wyandotte

Cuckoo marans x white leghorn

Cuckoo marans x cuckoo marans (would all offspring be barred??

Thanks again!!

Since the rooster is barred, there is a good chance that most of the chicks would have some sort of barring. There's no way to know for sure what colors you will get from the RIR, Wyandottes, or the Easter Egger until you try it though. A cuckoo Marans pairing would yield pure cuckoo Marans chicks. The white leghorn would probably produce all solid white chicks.

Ok thanks!!! Do you know if my cuckoo marans and easter eggers will have offspring that will lay olive eggs?? I don't know a lot about the genetics that plays into colored eggs. Thanks for the info! :)

As long as the rooster has the gene for really dark eggs, and assuming that your Easter Egger lays a blue or green egg, the female offspring should lay either brown or olive green. You won't know for sure which genes were inherited until they start laying though.

Ok Thank you!! I know the easter eggers are laying green eggs, but I don't know if my cuckoo marans (from the same batch) as my cm rooster will lay dark eggs or not. I sure hope so, I'm excited to get them and hope for some olive eggers in the future! Thanks again! ~Candice

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom