Cuckoo Marans What Breed??

So you don't think the one pullet is a marans?
sad.png

So you don't think the one pullet is a marans?
sad.png
First, a disclosure. I am not a Marans expert in any shape or form. But.....

I'm not sure ANY of them are Marans. Certainly nothing with yellow legs, lacing, etc. Somewhere I read, (don't remember where) but this breed must not only fit the breed's Standard for type, feather, color, body characteristics, etc, but must also lay a # 6 egg in color?? to be a Marans. The breed is somewhat new to North America, and it is quite popular, which leads to suspect sales of birds posing to be Marans being sold by less than reputable sellers. Somewhere on BYC is a egg color chart with the numbering system.

I really was not expecting show quality birds, I just really want some chocolate egg layers. I think I might try to contact the women who sold them to me. Because I am sure she believed they were marans. She might want to contact the hatchery she ordered them from. Thank you for the help. Would you want to venture a guess as to what these might be? Probably a mix, but a mix of what? Again, thank you very much for the help! I really appreciate it.
smile.png

If she is breeding hatchery stock, neither she, nor her customers, should expect very high quality birds with dark eggs. Just saying. There are some very, very good breeders of true Marans here at BYC. If you have your heart set on them, I'd suggest following along with some the Marans threads and soon, you'll be able to tell who does and who doesn't have the proper credentials and reputation in the Marans world.

Again, our own Wynette has what you're looking for, that's for sure. She can also point you in the right direction.

Wynette Click her link.

Last edited:
We contacted the women who sold them to us and told her that the chicks are not marans. She was very apologetic and nice. She wanted to give us some polishes to make up for it. lol She said that she ordered them from a man down state and that she ordered blue slash marans but the man was not able to fill the order and asked if he could give her some cuckoo marans and black copper marans to make up the difference. I told her to check the legs on the remaining chicks to see if any more of them have yellow legs. Hopefully not. I am kind of guessing that they might have some marans in them because two of them have feathers on their legs, their yellow legs.
hmm.png
But I am still pretty bummed about no chocolate eggs. I am also probably going to hold off on my search for marans until next spring. Winter is a little too harsh around. But on the plus side we know a women who is going to be selling lavender orpingtons next spring. I have been to her farm and seen them in person and I know they are absolutely beautiful birds.
big_smile.png
She also might have some coronation sussex that she got from greenfire farms.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom