Cuckoo Marans

What does everyone think of this girl

/img/smilies/big_smile.png  OK, I have some updated photos of my girls and one guy.  The girls just started laying.  My cockerel is still growing and doesn't quite have his tail in yet.  I call the girls Thunder Thighs, part of my driveway has a wooden bridge and when they run across it you definitely know it! 

Girls

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

Boy

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

Eggs- first week, they aren't the darkest I've ever seen but they sure have great body type.

IMG_4067.jpg
Beautiful marans they have obviously been looked after well :)

I am looking at some of these pictures and a few of these Cuckoo Marans almost look like Barred Rocks. I mention this because I ordered 5 Cuckoo Marans because I wanted to get some darker eggs from my flock. However, I couldn't resist adding two Barred Rocks when I went to Farm & Fleet to pick up my order and saw that they had loose chicks for sale.

I didn't pay much attention to the Barred Rock chicks when they were put in with the others and now I have 7 chicks running around that look very identical. They are three weeks old and the feathers are starting to show some barring / cuckoo patterns, but they still basically look the same. Some seem to have darker feet than others, but short of separating them all and really examining them, I think I am just going to have to wait until they feather out some more.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have five Cuckoo Maran pullets, or at least that's what they were labeled at TSC.
Two have feather coloring similar to barred rocks, but not as distinct. Three are more of a charcoal black color with gray spots in the feathers. All have pink to white feet.
Question....do the darker colored ones lay darker eggs? One of the lighter ones laid the first egg of all the pullets, and it was probably a 4-5 on the Maran egg color chart.
Can I expect darker eggs from the others, or is it a matter of wait and see? Here is a picture with a darker one on the right and the lighter ones in the background. (Ignore the roo, he's just keeping an eye on me!)

Upon further investigation, my two barred rocks have yellow feet while the cuckoo marans have light gray. Now I don't have any problem telling them apart for the couple of marans that have more defined barring. The other three Cuckoo Marans I have are darker spotted and less barred so they are easy to tell withou having to look at the legs.

Back
Top Bottom