Cukoo Maran x Red star?

Thanks! Only 3 of the red stars I have have white. The one in the photo has white on her tail but the other 2 almost look like a red star with white wyandotte patterns- if that makes sense. I got them from my neighbor's daughter who was moving, and she didn't tell me where she got them from. Another weird thing- I think the 3 other Cuckoo Marans may be leghorn mixed. 1 has a straight comb but white earlobes and lays white eggs. The 2nd has red earlobes, a huge floppy comb, and lays brown eggs with dark brown spots. The 3rd just looks like a normal Cukoo maran and lays dark brown eggs. He is my fourth but is a rooster, so I can't really tell if he maybe leghorn mixed. What do you think?
I'm excited to see what the babies look like !
If you want I can take pics of the Cuckoos now! They look so much different than when they were little.

What it sounds like to me is that you don't have purebred chickens but some could be mixes. When you breed mixes you don't know what you are going to get. I can't predict it.
They probably aren't. Definitely not from a hatchery I'm betting. I love them all and they are very sweet! I don't really think purebreds are better and mixes are worst, I just love them no matter what. 1 even looks grayish brown now and 2 look more like RIR mixes, while 2 look more buff Orpington or golden comet. Its fun to guess!

The "future" Mom looks like more of a golden comet than a red star, but the person I got her form from said they were red stars.
Only 3 of the red stars I have have white. The one in the photo has white on her tail but the other 2 almost look like a red star with white wyandotte patterns- if that makes sense. I got them from my neighbor's daughter who was moving, and she didn't tell me where she got them from.
Here are some photos of them when they were around 12 weeks old. She and her sister still have so much white! As you can see, In the background, the others don't have as much white as the 2.

Red Stars and Golden Comets are both red sexlinks. "Red Sexlinks" is a term for any of the hybrids where the males are mostly white, and the females have a lot of red. They tend to be fairly similar to each other, but get sold under many different names. Yes, it's quite normal for some to have more white than others. For predicting the offspring, I don't think it matters which version they are.

Crossing them to a Cuckoo Marans rooster, I would expect about half the chicks to be black with white barring. I would expect the other half to be white with white barring and maybe a few bits of black leaking through. Sons from either group have a chance of red showing in their shoulders as they grow up.

If you have any that are red with black in their tails and no white at all, breeding them to your rooster should produce just black chicks with white barring, (no all-white chicks in that case).

Back
Top Bottom