Cull a blind chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wbruder17, Feb 12, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So, one of my chicks is most definitely blind. It does not eat or play like the others. Its tiny and just stands around or hides under Mama. They are isolated.

I'm getting to the point where I no longer think it has much of a chance.

Is there a time where I should just put it down? It seems to be getting weaker and won't even try to eat the scrambled eggs I put in front of it.

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Theres a few people on here that have blind chick/chickens that are just fine. Hopefully they'll chime in soon. It may be hard but it can be done.

3. dominiquePL

dominiquePL Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Poland
    Jesus, what a difficult decision [​IMG] I think I would cull it unless you can spend all the time feeding it (and it learns eating from your hand or something). Poor little thing [​IMG]

Edit: Hey, I've just noticed your other thread about the chick. There you said it was getting better so I'm a bit confused. Is it eating now or not? Also, photos would be helpfull - maybe it's some kind of infecsion (I had this problem with one of mine). How old is the chick?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm sitting here feeding my blind 1 week old chick (she is the one in my avatar) so I have to say no, I wouldn't cull. However, they do take a lot of time for a bit but then it gets better. I have a blind 2 year old hen and she does great. Definitely a personal choice based on your lifestyle.

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I have an Ameraucana hen that is almost completely blind and she just turned 3 on the 9th [​IMG]

6. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My friend has a blind chick and she's the one with the most personality! Keep her. Most likely she will become your favorite! [​IMG]

7. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=448149&p=1

This
    is a recent situation with a chick hatched with no eyes.

I Have a mostly blind 8 1/2 week old that I decided not to cull. I just copied and pasted what I posted in the other thread because I would have wrote the exact thing basically! If ever faced with this situation again I would cull. I dont think its a life worth living for a flock-animal.

Quote:Quote:ETA: I had to teach mine to eat. I guess I was in a way keeping her alive( a big no-no i've learned). I think you should cull yours before nature takes its course and the chick slowly starves to death. Either cull or take it(and a seeing eye buddy) away from mama and teach it how to live a blind-chicken life.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by