Cull him, or wait for protection?

The question is how is the most humane way to do it,
For culling methods, I prefer to cut off the head. The body will flap around and look alive, so being able to see the head sitting there separate is reassuring to me (yes, I really did get it off. The bird must be dead.)

I use a machete or hatchet, and a chopping block.
Some people use limb loppers (giant scissors things, sold for cutting limbs off of trees.)

and do i need to pen the rest of them up to keep them safe, or continue to let them free range and hope for the best.
That one is hard to answer, because either way could be a good choice.

If you build a run, there is the cost (money and time), but then you know your chickens are secure.

If you continue to let them range, they might be fine, but they might not be.

If the chickens are ranging freely, predators are more likely to take one this day and one another day, instead of killing the whole flock on the same day. That could serve as a warning that you need to lock them up for safety, but without having to replace the whole flock. (Of course something could kill them all on one day, it is just less common.)

If you do build a run, be sure it is secure enough. If a predator gets in, but the chickens can not get out, the predator will probably kill every one of the chickens because they are trapped in there.

If you are wary of culling him yourself ask a clerk at the feed store if they know anyone who wants a free roo for processing. That way you don't have to do it yourself and you have a better chance that they will do it quickly since they are probably experienced in doing it.

Another option is to look in your state forum here on BYC--
I have picked up free roos that the breeder knew I would harvest (I was learning and taking them over to another BYC member more experienced at this task) and at the same time I got my good tempered roo from her to keep in my flock.

Do you have someone to help you with taking him from the roost and butchering?
He is completely fine and manageable on the roost. He isn't a bit aggressive. You can pet him, kiss him, pick him up, hold him, etc. He's like one of the gals on the roost. My husband can help butcher him though. I imagine it would be hard to do one handed and id be afraid id chop a finger or hand off, lol.

If he were mine, he'd be dinner.
X2, I would make a nice tasty stew out of him.
The cone method is the method I would use, and I would suggest it for your use as well. You buy (or make) a cone that can be secured to a tree, or post, basically wherever you plan on culling. Lower the rooster's head into the cone while holding him upside down. Let him sit in the cone for a second while you hold his feet just to stop him from freaking out, then cut the head off. Gravity will draw out the blood (you may have to let it drained for a bit) and then you can process him
You could just grab him from the roost at night, carry him outside and chop his head off with an axe or meat chopper. That would be the fastest way.
This is also an efficient and straightforward way to do it. I definitely agree it would be less time-consuming as well.
If you are worried about not having a protector for your flock try to get another rooster after you butcher this one, but get a docile breed rooster like an Orpington or something of the sorts.
My SL Orpington rooster is very friendly, fluffy, and loves hugs - but I'm positive he would lay down his life to protect his girls.
Many people on BYC have gone through lots of different roosters before finding the right one.
Good luck, I hope he's a tasty stew!

He is completely fine and manageable on the roost. He isn't a bit aggressive. You can pet him, kiss him, pick him up, hold him, etc. He's like one of the gals on the roost. My husband can help butcher him though. I imagine it would be hard to do one handed and id be afraid id chop a finger or hand off, lol.
It sounds like you know what to do then, and how to do it. I have had to cull two of my pullets and did so by broomstick method. I'm like you, I was afraid I would miss with an ax. As for the girls, if I were you, I would build them a large, secure run. Off of the coop, then you could leave the coop door open and they could come and go as they please. Once a predator knows chicken dinner is available, they come back for seconds

If you are wary of culling him yourself ask a clerk at the feed store if they know anyone who wants a free roo for processing. That way you don't have to do it yourself and you have a better chance that they will do it quickly since they are probably experienced in doing it.

Another option is to look in your state forum here on BYC--
I have picked up free roos that the breeder knew I would harvest (I was learning and taking them over to another BYC member more experienced at this task) and at the same time I got my good tempered roo from her to keep in my flock.
I'm not really, I've just never done it so i don't know of "propper" ways to do it. I know it's pretty self explanatory, but i figured surely there had to be certain easier methods than others. Maybe tips and tricks. Id rather do it myself to provide a meal for my family, just to feel his life went to a good cause rather than a "taking out the trash" type thing. Pride and respect i guess, idk.

I'm not really, I've just never done it so i don't know of "propper" ways to do it. I know it's pretty self explanatory, but i figured surely there had to be certain easier methods than others. Maybe tips and tricks. Id rather do it myself to provide a meal for my family, just to feel his life went to a good cause rather than a "taking out the trash" type thing. Pride and respect i guess, idk.
Look up Justin Rhodes on YT - he has step by step for processing humanely with or without any equipment.

I would get rid of the rooster. Here is a method I have never used. Looks efficient enough. Broomstick method. Then have chicken soup. :)

I have been there with aggressive roosters. Chasing my wife and daughter, the neighbors kid. I pen them then give them away or put them in the frigidaire.

From what I have read here in BYC if no rooster a hen will take over the leadership role. Alpha hen. Someone else can chime in on this.

I free range and have many predators. I also have a Brahma rooster. My rooster stays with the hens to a point, but the hens at times are spread out all over at times so the rooster does not provide protection all the time. SO far this year I have not lost any. I think I have lost more hens to getting broody and going into the woods to sit.
When free ranging there is always a risk of loss. The question is can you except the loss?

I have about 30 chickens free ranging at this time.

My 14 month old EE Roo has became pretty aggressive this Spring. He has a flock of 14 hens. He is constantly in attack mode. I have my bluff in on him with a rake now, but my children are targets. Weather is warming up so naturally my 3 and 4 year old want to play outside on their trampoline and stuff. Obviously they can't comfortably with him and he has to go. What is the best way to cull him? I'm very seriously considering a shotgun at the moment, I'm so sick of him. Problem is, my flock is 100% free range and and are only go in their coop to lay and roost. Im affraid my hens will be vulnerable to predators without his protection. We are on a 40 acre pasture farm and we have alot of coyotes. Should i maybe build them a run instead of free range, without his protection? Im not sure how much "protection" he does anyways since i keep his spurs and nails trimmed short to keep my kids from serious injuries. Even though he cant do much damage, it still dont stop him from attacking and it still dont keep my kids from being stalked, tortured, and terrified. Or just leave the hens free range and hope the predators stay clear. Id HATE to have them penned up, but id also hate to lose them as their egg production is a business. The hens well being is the priority, my mind is made up that Rusty has to go.. Opinions? Thoughts? Advice?
you can give the rooster to a feed store and then get a new, nicer one

Back
Top Bottom