Cull or keep?

With cockerels - a few things to know

• Often times, cockerels raised just with flock mates, get bigger faster than pullets, and with no older birds to thump some manners into them, they become bullies, both human and chicken aggressive.
Not that often really.

Even if you have cockerels in with elders to teach the youngsters manners, you can still end up with aggressive/human aggressive cockerels/roosters.

With, or without elders doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

Even when I have 20 or more birds, free ranging, I find having more than one roo is just not peaceful. One reason I keep chickens is to de-stress me and fussing, stalking and fighting roos is not peaceful.

Even I would be wary about a 6:2 ratio. My lowest ratio is something like 12:3 right now with pullets and cockerels included, but I have a very dominant male that doesn't let the other boys breed most of the time so the girls usually only have one male to deal with.

Unfortunately unless you happen to have breeds people want, you will have to give the males away if you're lucky. I can't even give away amazing males because no one wants those ones.

I had two cockerels I tried to give away. No takers, not even for chicken dinner, some disassembly required. I had to cull them myself.

I am thinking I'd like to hatch chicks someday, and I know I will have to have a plan in place to deal with excess cockerels.

If you are up to the task of culling and butchering, I'd say make yourself some chicken dinner.

As AArt say "roosters are where the romance meets the reality."
I love this. And, it's so true!

Even when I have 20 or more birds, free ranging, I find having more than one roo is just not peaceful. One reason I keep chickens is to de-stress me and fussing, stalking and fighting roos is not peaceful.
That’s exactly why I got my chickens. I just have to figure out how I’m going to part with the two cockerels that I’m attached to.

I had two cockerels I tried to give away. No takers, not even for chicken dinner, some disassembly required. I had to cull them myself.
Yeah. I’ve already given away a silver laced Wyandotte, a dark blue red laced Wyandotte and a lavender Orpington 😭 The remaining cockerels are 2 silkies, 1 showgirl, 1 dark brahma and 1 salmon Favorelles 💔

Back
Top Bottom