1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Culled 1st egg at Day7...was I wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SunChick, Mar 16, 2007.

1. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I candled my cuckoo marans eggs tonight and my largest whopper egg just didn't look right to me. The yolk and dark spot seemed to "slosh" back and forth and the slightest motion compared to the other eggs. The rest seemed to have dark shadows firmly in place at least. So I culled it, and broke it open. The yolk literally poured out of it along with a semi formed embryo head. I showed to it to DH who then told me I killed the chick. I don't think so...I figured it had stopped developing and didn't want a "bad egg" to explode in the bator. Would you have done the same or did I really kill the chick? [​IMG]

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Your discription didn't sound right to me, its likely the embryo was doomed anyway so what you did was OK. It sounds like the yolk sack either broke or became detached from the shell; the little chord-membranes keeping the egg suspended may have broke.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It does sound like the egg was doomed. Unusally small or large eggs normally are problematic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by