Culling Birds???

Moodyblues7718

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 10, 2012
Corbett, Oregon
I was just reading some threads of people who have had to cull there birds and everybody has a different method and thought on culling.....

I would like too know what some people think about culling? and what are the best methods? What have you had to do before?

D.gif

I've never had to cull any birds for any reason, but I'm going to have too when I start breeding. I understand why culling happens and I do think it needs to be done.

Culling has two schools of thought.

Breeders usually kill when they cull to prevent undesirable traits from entering the gene pool via another person whom they may have gave them too.

BYCers cull usually means rehome... but not always.

Iam of the opinion that cull means kill if the bird has issues or if I am breeding many to get a perfect bird. I think as a breeder culling is responsible regardless whether someone has the stomach for it or not, you can always find someone to do the dirty deed.

Yes we cull weak chicks, does not happen that often but it does happen.

I cull birds I do not want to use as breeder's or sell but they grow out and go into my freezer.

And we are lucky, we live very close to a processing plant where I take my excess chickens, turkey's and ducks and get them processed cheaply and humanely, and we don't have the mess.
D.gif

For me, I use the term dispatch or kill when I mean kill. I use the broader dictionary definition when using the term cull, meaning to remove from the flock, for whatever purpose. We cull birds that don't meet any breeding program. Some birds get sold, as we raised them for selling. Some birds get given as gifts. Some get processed and enjoyed for food.

Sometimes, it is an act of mercy, to end suffering. Whatever method is employed to end suffering or for processing, snapping the neck, decapitation, etc, the essential thing is finality and swiftness.

Last edited:
I've tried culling extra roosters via CL with very little success, even when free. I have dispatched 4 so far, so am still a total newbie, but for me I find the broomstick method to be the best. Quick and hard to screw up. I've also tried decapitation with loping shears (worked ok) and cutting the throat. That last method I was just way to hesitant, didn't even scratch the neck before grabbing the broom. There is a local processor but they charge $5 per with a minimum of I think it was $30.

Back
Top Bottom