Culling Chickens and worms

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jackiekim, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Jackiekim

Jackiekim Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Hi,
    We have decided to cull all five of our girls. Though they are not yet two years old, we haven't gotten a good and consistent egg production from them the past three to four months (zero to one egg per day for the last two weeks). It was like that early in the year and we thought it was because of winter. Then, we suspected one of our hens have been eating the eggs. Then, we confirmed it. The problem went away after we bought two fake eggs and stuck it into the nesting box. Unfortunately, somehow or other, the problem returned and all of them are now going after the eggs. I've been watching them closely and I see them attack an egg that was laid in the run voraciously. So we decided to cull. Then, I observed a few days ago that two of them has somewhat soiled feathers around the vent. Isn't that a classic sign of worms? If that is the case, I imagine all of them has it (I wonder if this decreased production and also made them more prone to looking for alternative nutrition). Anyhow, I'm wondering if I should bother with deworming before killing them (so that we can eat them). Is it ok to eat chickens that has worms? Part of me is gross out by that idea. Our new chicks are arriving after Labor Day. We have a few weeks to get the coop ready for them. I don't want the two flocks to meet (for disease control reason as well as to spare the little ones from being terrorized). Any suggestions?

Jackie

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt bother worming them since you're going to eat them. Worms, worm larva and worm eggs normally wont be in the edible parts of the chicken. Simply cook your chicken thoroughly as you normally would as with any meat/fish.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First, I have birds that get dirty bums on and off, and I've never seen signs of worms. All birds look great, healthy, active. So, don't just assume your birds have worms cause they have a dirty bum.

Second, worms live in the gi tract. You don't eat the gi tract. Okay, maybe if a bird had a heavy infestation I wouldn't eat the liver and gizzard.

Third, wormer gets in the muscle tissue, to my understanding. Don't use the stuff personally, but all livestock I've seen requires a long withdrawal period before slaughter.

I'd just butcher and be done with it. Don't worm them.

4. Jackiekim

Jackiekim Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Ok! Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by