Culling chicks - how do you do it?

I had a little boy that started (trying to) crow for a few days before he went back to silence for a few months to finish growing.

And you can't possibly tell me that these don't look like males despite only being 4 weeks old at the time.
received_792231065128413.jpeg
received_580482027035930.jpeg

I had a little boy that started (trying to) crow for a few days before he went back to silence for a few months to finish growing.

And you can't possibly tell me that these don't look like males despite only being 4 weeks old at the time. View attachment 3219527
View attachment 3219526

I can always tell my Blue Australorps by 4-5 weeks. The boys put their combs up early.

Maybe you should wait until you are 100% percent sure they are roosters. 3 to 4 weeks old is way too early!!! At that point there's no way to be certain:(((
After they're dead, I can be certain: cut them open and look inside for testicles.

I prefer to start with the one who has the biggest comb and work my way down by comb size, checking each one after killing it. Often I can be 100% correct, but I never have more than one oops (because if I find a pullet, I know not to do any more.)

Back
Top Bottom