Culling Gone Very Wrong

Thank you.. I really would like to decapitate but I've had the worst time trying to cut the head off after they're dead so I need a better knife. My husband wants me to try an electric knife but I've never heard of anyone doing that so I need to research that. I cant use a hatchet to save me life.
Consider using a surgical blade (scalpel). sharp, precise and easy to change blades. Can get them on amazon.

I use a very sharp knife that is about 9" long. Agree with others regarding to make sure it is sharp (I sharpen before butchering day, then use the honing "rod" to keep it tip top shape before each kill).

The length of the knife allows me to cut the artery and continue on to cut off the head in one smooth movement. Doesn't allow for me to "miss," mess up, etc.

Another key is to BE CONFIDENT. If you are nervous (which I still get on 1st one), you may not cut as strong or clean as you normally would, and that doesn't do you nor the chicken any favors.

Hey Mychickshavepower. Im sorry you had a couple of bad experiences with the cull. Don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing everything in your power to be kind and humane to your birds. Always learn and improve.

I raise and process my own birds each year. About 70. Last year my 14 year old son started a pluck and shuck business with the plucker we invented. (voice activated, automatic water and spin). It got out of hand and we wound up doing over 2000 birds for the local area. Because he is only 14 I was employed to drive him and the gear everywhere and do the kill and the knife work for the eviceration.

We use cones and decapitation method. Tried others. This seems to be the most humane method. I can not stress enough that it is vital to have a sharp knife. I keep a bunch of quick 'V' sharpeners in our kit. I use a Rapala fish filleting knife that is so sharp I actually test it each day by shaving a few hairs off my arm.

So, Like others have said. I tend to hold the birds on their backs while I am walking to the cone. It calms them down. Once in the cone within a few seconds they are very docile with the blood rushing down to their heads. I cover their head and eyes with my left hand, pause to thank the bird and say a tiny prayer, then it is one quick motion and the head is off seamlessly. It is very very rare that I miss the joint in the neck and have to do a second cut. You will eventually get a feel for it.

I may also suggest that you vein kill one and pluck it with the head still on. Then remove the skin from the head down and feel around while the bird is still fresh. You will see exactly where the joint is that you are aiming for.

I use a utility knife with a brand new blade for the vein slice. You have to be sure and get between the feathers, they're like armor. Get between the feathers, up against the skin and make a nice, fast slice. Even if you don't get both veins at first, they're upside down and it'll drain, just a little slower, and you can go back to get the other vein. That happened a time or 2 until I got more aggressive with my cut, but they never even acted like anything had happened. I zip-tie their feet together, then hang over a nail in a tree. I usually hang them, then go get the knife, put in the new blade and come do it.

I don't know if this will help, but I never used a cone. I have one but I have never used it. I simply tied the legs together with baling twine and hung the chicken at a convenient height. Then I cut the veins with a box cutter with a new blade. Before I went to the box cutter I used a very large, very sharp, pair of BIG heavy duty pruning shears and whacked the head off with those. Worked for me. I am sorry things went so wrong for you. Mistakes happen. Don't beat yourself up over it.

I hang the bird by its legs with rope from a old swing set.
You could use a tree branch also.
It can't escape out of rope vs a kill cone.
Then I shoot it in the head with a 22 rimfire rifle while it hangs.
You could use a 22 pistol or any gun though.

:hugs sorry you are dealing with this. This is why I have always used decapitation or cervical dislocation.
I always wring their neck (cervical dislocation). It is quick and you feel it in your hand so you know its done then i decapitate to bleed them.

Mychickshavepowers - It is a stressful thing but the most important thing to remember is to remain calm, be deliberate and do not hesitate. You try the best you can but unfortunately it is a task that only gets easier with practice.
Good luck you'll do fine

I've only culled about 5 (by myself, over a few months time, dual-purpose birds so don't have to harvest all at once) and the last one was the first time I think I got the cut right. I knew because the blood gushed instead of dripped down and the roo was breathing way less than a minute. Before this I had to cut multiple times and it seemed like the poor birds kept breathing toooo long. I agree - sharp knife is KEY...sharpened before each harvest, sharp backup knife on hand.

It is definitely a learning process and you get better with practice - there's a time for watching and a time for doing. You can experiment on different recommended methods until you find one that you are best at.

Know your birds still had a better life than any factory meat animals and are healthier to eat for your family. And your family knows where meat comes from - all this is knowledge you cannot buy.
I learned how to sharpen my knife today. Cull went perfect. And I realized you have to go right under the jaw. Above that, the vein disappears

I learned how to sharpen my knife today. Cull went perfect. And I realized you have to go right under the jaw. Above that, the vein disappears
I'm sorry you had this initial unfortunate experience ... but I'm glad you shared it. And that so many people responded so positively and helpfully, resulting in a good experience for you today. I had to cull a rooster a couple of days ago. I used an axe and it took more than one blow. In future I will use loppers. Generally I hire it done if we are butchering to use the meat, but in this case we weren't. I just want to be able to do it humanely. So thank you.

Back
Top Bottom