culling in a city flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mom2punkadus, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mom2punkadus

mom2punkadus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Carter Lake, Iowa
    I have a hen who has been sneezing for a while. She now has drainage from her eyes, even after treating their water with unfiltered acv. As much as I DON'T want to, I think it's time to cull this little bird.

So how do you cull, especially inside city limits. I'm suburban and not quite legal. Can a vet put the bird down? Dh's aunt is a vet and though she doesn't work with birds, we may be able to get her to do us a favor. If not, how do I go about it?

2. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I have heard pruners work. You can put her in a doggie crate and take her somewhere else to do the deed. I guess taking her to a vet would work too.

I have 3 roosters I will have to do something with someday but I don't want to do it in my yard because I don't want my doggies to see, they would start "hunting" the chickens (like they do the squirrels). I plan on putting them in a crate at night and going to a neighbors.

Luckily I don't have to think about that right now. Sorry for your loss, hope the rest of your flock stays healthy

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    get her some antibiotic.

4. mom2punkadus

mom2punkadus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2010
    Carter Lake, Iowa
    Quote:I emailed the farmer I got her from and he suggested this as well. I'll give it a try and pick some up tomorrow if I can get time after work before tractor supply closes.

Also, I re-checked her tonight and her eye was NOT draining. I was looking from an angle and onto the run earlier. This time she was in my arms. Crystal clear eyes.

This is the best time to treat anyway since we aren't getting eggs. LOL Although I'm suspecting her eggs will be so pretty I wont want to eat them! She's a bcm/Auaracana mix and I'm hoping for dark olive eggs.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've only had to do it once with a sick bird, but I put it in plastic bag, stepped on the head and that was that.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Done that too, besides doing the broomstick method. Its quick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by