Culling Recommendations?

I have never raised chickens. I have never lived on a farm, nor even visited one for more than a little tour when I was quite young. Having purchased my first home, AND home STEAD, in 2016... and at over the age of 40, everything has been exciting and daunting at the same time.

I currently have a flock of 13 laying flufferbutters that I adore. I had read voraciously about chickens for over a year prior to getting my little flock. Reading everything didn't quite cover my nervousness and fear of failure... but BYC certainly made it MUCH easier and understandable.

I am preparing NOW, for raising meat birds next year. With everything I have read, I feel cone culling would be right for me. DH has sworn off doing ANY culling whatsoever, so it falls to me.

I believe I can do it.

I haven't seen it *live*, but I've seen videos.

My requests are as follows:

1. What kind of cutter would you recommend? I require something that can be used by a single operator, can be screwed into a wall and cuts cleanly. I wish to do a complete head chop rather than attempt to find the jugular and let them bleed out.

2. Cone recommendation? I have a free pick of roadside (emergency type) cones... but I've noted that *kill cones* are sized. Should I wait until I pick the meat chickens to decide which cone to get/use?

3. I have the burner, boiling pot and table covered.

4. I've planned on 25-50 birds, so will get a plucker. I saw TSC has a Yardbird that would easily fit our budget. Anyone use it or find another type/brand better?

5. Dressing a chicken. Can someone recommend video from start to finish? Like, very elementary type, where someone doesn't *assume* things are common sense?

6. Packaging. Any special bags used? I would probably bag 5-10 full chickens, then break the rest down into white and dark meat.

Is there anything else I'm missing that I should prepare for?
The Yardbird Chicken Plucker on sale at Tractor Supply online for $399.99 if you don't want to pluck by hand. It takes about 15-25 seconds to pluck 2 chickens at once.
I recommend to raise White Bresse chicken. They taste better and has no leg/heard problem.

Back
Top Bottom