Culling Regrets

It sounds like you did the right thing, try not to beat yourself up. He lived a good long life. What was his quality if he was "dethroned" and being picked on all the time.

He's gone to rooster heaven where the grass is always green and the hens are always willing...
smile.png

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I could have built him is own pen which would have meant extra work for me, but chickens are culled for less reasons than that. I guess I just miss having the old boy around. He made his presence known. One of his sons has his coloring but not his size or personality. One of his grandson's has his personality and size but not his coloring; a rather bland looking black laced bird.

Personally I think you did the right thing. I do feel for you, but he had to have been miserable hanging out around your house and unable to be with the rest of the flock.

Good luck, I hope you can put it behind you.

You had a pretty boy there. Its hard loosing a favorite. I had to cull my favorite Roo a few years ago, I still think of him. Same with my favorite drake that passed. Off spring aren't anywhere near what they were. But I keep watching for another like them to come along, sooner or later one will. In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy the ones I have.

Back
Top Bottom