culling roosters

Today is the worst day of my life! We have 7 roosters and 12 hens. The roosters are tearing up the hens so much that one poor hen has no feathers on her back or sides and her wings are torn up. The roosters have to go. We tried the broomstick method of one rooster and it just didn't work so my husband ended up using a huge knife and cut it's head off. It was so awful that I don't think we will be able to do it to the others. Any suggestions?
welcome-byc.gif

Good for you for being responsible to your hens and getting rid of the roosters. It's never easy to take the life of something. We raise chickens for eggs and meat and I still hate butchering day. We've been doing it for over 20 years. Once the head is off, it's not so bad. It's the taking a live chicken and turning it into a dead one that I hate. But we have chosen this, so this is what we do.

I would go to the Meat Birds section of the forum and look around. There are a lot of different ways of doing it. My husband and I use the hatchet and stump method. We feel that's the most humane way of doing it as the chicken is killed instantly. If I were alone, I'd use the cone method. Hang a cone from a tree or something, put the chicken in it (some people duct tape their wings) with head and neck sticking out of the cone. Using a VERY sharp knife, slit the jugulars on either side of the throat and let it bleed out. They are dead within minutes, not as much flopping. They will usually flop no matter how you kill them - they're not still alive when this happens, it's just the nerves firing. The most important thing is to do it as quickly as possible. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes for you!

I use the broomstick. It is the only way I have the strength to do it. If I can manage it, I see no reason why any one else couldn't do it. Simply try again. It is fast, there is no blood until you hang the chicken to bleed it out.

Hold them by the feet upside down , they will almost fall asleep , place head between two nails and hit with a hatchet.....

Even laying them on their backs calms them .

I too hate rooster days.... it's very sad but we have to be grown up chicken owners
1f625.png
1f625.png

Thanks for all replys and support. The other roosters really seem to be much, much quieter today. I don't know if they realize what happened or if they are just wondering where Jim went... Anyway, is it possible that they will leave the hens alone now? Nugget is the top rooster, then Jim. Jim was really agressive toward the hens. Now that he is gone maybe the others will be too afraid of Nugget. I hope so!

Totally possible that you'll see a change in attitude in the coop, if this rooster gets bossy I would try carrying him around , it really works!!

Thanks for all replys and support. The other roosters really seem to be much, much quieter today. I don't know if they realize what happened or if they are just wondering where Jim went... Anyway, is it possible that they will leave the hens alone now? Nugget is the top rooster, then Jim. Jim was really agressive toward the hens. Now that he is gone maybe the others will be too afraid of Nugget. I hope so!
What they know is, one of their flockmates disappeared and the pecking order has changed. Chickens take some time to adjust to change. They will not leave the hens alone for long. If you don't want them going after your hens, and you don't think you can process any more of them, there are a couple of options. One is to build them a bachelor pen and feed a bunch of free loaders, or you can sell/give them away. If you decide to process them, remember that it takes time and practice for it to go smoothly.

And never feel you HAVE TO have a rooster, I've sold / given away many and I'm always more relaxed afterwards... they can be more work then they're worth ...just like ..no I'll be nice
1f609.png

Thanks for your comments. They have adjusted to the missing rooster. I wish I could give them away but I just can't find anyone that wants them. They are really beautiful and healthy. If anyone out there from central Oklahoma wants a rooster or 6, let me know!

I always solve for the flock. That many roosters will be hard on hens. I would recommend that you keep culling. In the future, only get chicks that you are sure are hens, or this problem will come up again.

I agree with Donrae, once the bird is dead, it is totally different. It is the hard part. I do my own, and I use a fishnet to catch them, and then slit their throat. They just get tired and lay down. Works for me. I use banded razor blade, so that they are very fresh and sharp. Feathers can really dull them quickly.

MRs K

I only thought the worst day of my life way when I culled my first rooster. Today was worse by far! I used the broomstick method to cull 5 roosters and it didn't work on any of them!! It was awful! My husband ended up using a flat blade shovel to finish them off. Awful!!!

I watched a youtube video on using the broomstick method and I still did it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom