Culling, that is the question....

"Some were born to hunt and others to gather"...? Hmmm. I think some people have a different relationship to killing/hunting, for sure. But I don't think the fact that a person doesn't seek out the opportunity to kill something means that they are incapable of doing what needs to be done. For instance, my husband - who is one of the least violent people I've ever known, and didn't take much to hunting - has been very much a participant when we've raised meat birds or needed to do in other members of our flocks over the years - or goat kids, or whatever. He has a realistic understanding of life and death, but was never drawn to "recreational" killing. And I don't mean that ('recreational' killing) in a critical way because I actually do understand the thrill of hunting, and think it's hard-wired into us as predators - clearly more common though not unique to the male of the species. Of course, he does like to fish... is that hunting, or gathering?

Quote:
I completely agree. I'm a deer hunter too (bow and gun - bow hunting is way more personal; you can see into their eyes). You either got it or you don't. I'm an animal lover to the core too, but sometimes life has to take its course. I know I will be hesitant about "putting down" my first, I may have my husband do it, but I'll be there. Its just part of life, its that simple.

Quote:
Yea hunting is a recreational sport that is thrilling- but there is a purpose for it. Over-population! Here is KY and more so in TN a couple of years ago, our deer population was so OVER-POPULATED that they got a disease called blue-tongue and a lot died. And when I say alot - were still over-populated.
Also I don't agree with people who go out and just kill an animal and leave it. We kill turkeys and deer and fish to eat. And what cant eat, our dogs enjoy. There is nothing wrong with killing an animal for food. Killing a chicken, that you've raised, not for sport but for food. Like they used to do it in the old days.
I also agree that being able to kill an animal and hunting an animal are two different things. But fishing is hunting in a way. You can only gather things that arent animals (I would think).

I have had to do it. I had to cull a sick chick that was not improving and I cried something horrible. It was really tramatic. Then I had a sick roo and I couldn't bring myself to do it - my husband, who is not a hunter and very squeamish about culling did the deed when I was out one day. He knew the Roo was slowly suffering and that I was wrestling with getting it done. I do think it would be easier to have someone hold the bird.

I do not judge those who can't do it or who can. Chickens are food and I know they are food and I know sometimes they need culling. I don't think it is cruel. I have eaten chickens raised by my grandfather and even as a kid I knew they were the same ones I played with the day before and it was okay.

I give my chickens a good existance and if I have too many or problems with my roos, my back up plan is to freezer camp some birds. I have a harder time with killing the entire flock over sneezing and such because it seems such a waste. I still make it a point not to judge others for doing that.

If I could go hunting with Ted Nugent - I could pull the trigger and thanks to bbq eat bambi too.

just my humble opinion
Caroline

It does to have two of you. You kind of give each other moral support. Once we got them in the cone, quick knife and it was done, and then the rest was easy.

Rather worried my 7 & 8th grade class though, when I told them how easy it turned out to be.
somad.gif
They were quite good of a while! haha

I had to cull my first hen last week & I never would have believed I could do it. I am an over-the-top animal lover & even having the vet euthanize an animal or losing one to old age tears me up. I came home late to find an older hen egg bound (egg broken inside her) and in obvious distress (sweating, head drooped, eyes closed, unable to stand or even stay upright). I tried soaking her in warm water, etc & nothing helped--she just kept getting worse. And, I didn't have any luck finding someone to let me off the hook & watching her suffer was terrible. I finally wrapped her in a towel, took her outside, said a prayer for steadiness & a quick painless death for her, rested the pistol on the back of her head, then closed my eyes & pulled the trigger. No it was not easy emotionally or psychologically; yes, pulling the trigger & the few seconds afterwards were horrible. But what surprised me was that the most haunting image was that poor sweet hen in such obvious agony prior to culling. And she didn't deserve that. For all of you shaking your head at shooting a chicken, I guess I was living in lala land--I had prepared for predators but not culling. I did not own a hatchet (but do now), was worried about the sharpness of the ax & meat clever, but I knew the 22 would get the job done. It's not easy to cull, but watching one suffer is a lot worse IMHO. You may be surprised at how strong you will be if the time comes.

Mrs. K :

It does to have two of you. You kind of give each other moral support. Once we got them in the cone, quick knife and it was done, and then the rest was easy.

Rather worried my 7 & 8th grade class though, when I told them how easy it turned out to be.
somad.gif
They were quite good of a while! haha

I agree, it is better to have someone with you if you have to do it.​

Culling is often the most over looked part of owning chickens. It is not easy the first time. Especially when they are pets. However, it is a necessary part of compassionate and responsible chicken ownership. It helps to have a place that is away from other the other chickens and establish a "plan" from where to cull, to what to use to cull and how to cull.
When a hen becomes egg bound like Mistymeadowchicks or if a chicken is sick like my rooster Edgar was or even a mean rooster, these are a lot easier to handle because you are either easing their suffering or culling a mean bird to prevent injury to people, pets, your other chickens, and to keep those aggressive tendencies out of your flock.

Once you have done it the first time it is easier after that. My hubby and I do the deed together. I hold and he says a prayer, a thank you and chops. We "do the deed" where the other chickens cannot see us dispatch the cullee and where the area is easy to clean up and disinfect after. After "the deed" is done, either we process the carcass or toss it if the bird was sick.
We use a sharp machete, but this year I'm investing in a "killing cone". I hoping it will make the process quicker and easier for all involved.

I'm sorry that you are going through your first culling process and I wish it was easier, but I commend you for doing so.
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone for talking about your experiences
smile.png
I have a BF who I know would help bc the rooster keeps attacking his feet. that roo doesn't bother me tho lol. I think ill go out today and look around for a hatchet that might be suitable. I think ill actually have a harder time find a stump hard enough to use.

Back
Top Bottom